A Toasty Tale of Two Wheels and a Pair of Whites Heated Grips

Alex

• Admin
{{if $formValue}}
{$value}
{{endif}}

Like a disgruntled polar bear, I returned home from a ride yesterday, my fingers numbed from the icy wind. That’s when these saviours clad in dust and spiderwebs caught my attention. I set about installing them on my loyal steed, the MT09, faster than you can say "frostbite".

Now, I had been told that the Whites grips were akin to holding on to the molten core of the Earth itself. "Nonsense," I scoffed. Imagine my surprise when they turned out to be as warm as a hearty handshake from a Yeti. No clunky control box in sight, either! And let's not forget the built-in off switch for low battery situations, which I thought was a nice touch. It's as if the grips whisper, "We care about you and your battery life".

Installation

My installation process? Oh, it was pure poetry in motion... in reverse. To anyone reading this, I recommend checking if your grips work before putting your bike under the surgical knife. Why? Because it's always fun to install everything before realizing, "Oh, I should probably check if this thing works". Cue nervous laughter.

And now, dear readers, for an anecdote that you might find amusing. As I reassembled my trusted steed, carefully fitting the tank and side panels back, a sudden delivery at my door caught my attention. Now, who can resist the magnetic pull of a package arriving? Certainly not yours truly.

Thus, I got side-tracked, and by the time I returned to my bike, I'd completely forgotten about the fuel cables. There I was, looking at my beautifully reassembled MT09, only to have an 'Oh no!' moment of realization that the fuel cables were still disconnected. If you've ever prepared a cup of coffee and then forgotten to actually drink it, you'll understand the feeling.

Newer Yamaha MT09s, like mine, come pre-wired for heated grips. Yet, you'll still need a harness adapter unless you're a rebel like me, and decide to wire them directly to the battery. This does mean saying a brief 'hello' to your fuel tank though, as it has to be removed for direct installation. For easier access, you can connect just behind the left side panel if you opt for the harness adapter. Do remember to tuck your wires snugly under the airbox top bolt, making sure they're not squished like a pancake.

IMG_5849.jpgIMG_5852.jpgIMG_5848.jpg  

Operation

Moving on to operation, the left grip sports the control button, a simple device that guides you through different heat settings like a tour guide through a museum - 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%. Each setting has its own charming light color, running the spectrum from icy blue to fiery red like a chameleon basking under a heat lamp. A bonus feature, my dear readers, is the option to turn off the grips from any level by merely pressing the button for three seconds. What's even cooler, or hotter in this case, is that they remember your previous setting. So, when you turn them back on with a similar 3-second press, they light up at the same level as before, showing off their perfect memory skills. The package also provides a 4A fuse and super glue, the real heroes behind the scenes, ensuring that your installation is as secure and safe as can be.

Summary

In summary, Whites heated grips may not be the best fit for the owners of gargantuan mitts (I’m looking at you, André the Giant). But for the rest of us mere mortals, they offer a cozy embrace in the frigid weather, a great price, OEM appearance, and five heat levels. All in all, they're hot stuff, in every sense of the word!

Now, don't get me wrong, they're not perfect. For instance, why does the power cable come out the front of the left-hand grip? I’d rather it snuck out the rear, a little discretion never hurt anybody! The kit also didn't include any tie wraps or a ring connector for the power side, causing me to employ some good old-fashioned "MacGyvering".

Features:

Multicolour LED: Indicate the current selected heat setting with a colourful display.
5 Levels of Heating: Perfect for adjusting to any climate conditions.
Integrated Heat Control Switch: Retain OEM look with no need for an extra control panel.
‘Plug & Play’ Wiring Connection: Hassle-free setup with an in-line fuse for electrical circuit protection.
Low Battery Voltage Protection: Thoughtful feature that shuts off the heated grips to avoid battery drain.
Direct Connect to Battery: Allows for a more streamlined installation process.

Pros:

• Integrated Controls: Avoid the clutter of a separate control box.
  • Good Price: Won't burn a hole in your pocket.
  • OEM Appearance: A seamless blend with your bike's original look.
  • Five Heat Levels: Offers excellent flexibility to meet your warming needs.
  • Quick Warm-Up: Brings your hands from icicle to toasty in a flash.

Cons:

• Awkward Cable Positioning: Power cable emerging from the front of the left grip isn't the most convenient design.
  • Missing Accessories: Kit lacks ring connector and tie wraps, essential components for a clean installation.
  • Limited Grip Space: Those with larger hands might find the grips a bit restricting.

TLDR:
In conclusion, the Whites heated grips prove themselves to be a worthy addition to your two-wheeled chariot. They bring together functionality, style, and affordability in a neat, warmth-delivering package. They're like a pair of mittens, constantly ready to soothe your hands with their balmy embrace on those frosty rides.

While they're not without their quirks—the unusual power cable position and the absence of certain accessories in the kit—they offer more than enough virtues to make up for these slight shortcomings. After all, it's hard to stay mad at something that warms you up so effectively.

So, whether you're a seasoned rider battling icy winds on early morning commutes, or just someone who appreciates the finer things in life like not having numb fingers, Whites heated grips are an investment your hands will thank you for. Bottom line: If you want warmth, convenience, and an OEM appearance all wrapped up in one product, then these grips are worth a firm handshake...or better yet, a firm grip.

RATING
★★★☆☆

An otherwise warm and convenient experience with Whites heated grips is slightly marred after longer use by frustrating cable positioning, leading to a reduced review rating of 3/5

*** UPDATE 20/07/2023 ***

After several weeks of embracing the warmth and comfort that the Whites heated grips offered, a little thorn has managed to poke through the mittens. The issue at hand, or rather, at cable, is the positioning that's now becoming a source of frustration.

As the weather started to warm up and the fear of frozen fingers faded like winter snow in the spring sun, the cable positioning became more apparent. It's true, the joy of having toasty hands initially overshadowed this concern, but as the temperatures rose, the annoyance grew. Having to awkwardly work around the cable to reach the turn signals and horn has become an irritant during rides.

Now, let's be fair, tight spaces on a bike are nothing new, and we all know the rear can be a bit like a puzzle waiting to be solved, especially once the clutch is pulled in. However, one can't help but wonder if there might have been a better design option. Perhaps a cable that elegantly sneaks out the rear or a sleeker version that graces the front would have alleviated this conundrum. After all, you shouldn't have to perform contortions worthy of a yoga class just to activate your signals and honk at the occasional, unsuspecting pigeon.

Despite this annoyance, the warmth and convenience of the Whites heated grips remain a major selling point, especially when winter's icy grasp returns. However, for those who highly prioritize smooth signal operation and horn honking, this cable concern may be something to consider before investing in these grips. As with any choice in life, you win some, you lose some, and in this case, it seems warmth and convenience come at the cost of cable maneuvering.

View full news

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice! :D

Can you post a picture of where the wires come out? Neither your pics nor the official pics show any wires! lol

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

@Snakebite68 Hey sorry I completely missed your comment, please see below. Excuse the state of my bike, I've been renovating the garage!

thumbnail_IMG_6377.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6376.jpg

• Thanks 1

I had to re-read everything to remember why I asked lol.

Yeah, those wires aren't too bad!

• Admin

They're ok, but would be nicer if they came out the rear on both sides, for the price and OEM look they're excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I've updated the review on these, after longer use, I'm getting pretty frustrated with this cable positioning.