hello

Hi, I'm Dan.  I live in Poole.  I currently have a 2002 Thundercat which I've owned for 3 years since returning to 2 wheels after a lengthy lay off! I have just acquired a 2001 Thunderace which I bought from an auction site for not a lot of money. 12,000 miles but I think much UNloved.  It starts on the button and runs well. Unfortunately, as I don't want to get wet, (I'm far too old for those shenanigans) I didn't get to ride it for a couple of weeks.  However, one Sunday morning, the sun made an appearance so I decided to take it for a little spin. 10 miles later I'm back home and well pleased with the initial run once I'd put some proper air in the tyres!  I did notice when back in the garage that the clutch master cylinder bolts were literally hanging out so took the decision there and then to pull it off the road and look at it properly.  I can't trust anyone else's handiwork when such a glaring error was made!  I've decided to service the machine even though the seller stated that he had done it.  I'm also changing all the lines for braided and all the fairing bolts for stainless steel. You should have seen the mish mash that was on it!

I am hoping to find some friendly voices on here and maybe a few tips and helpful advice.  My only query thus far is about mounting paddock stand bobbins on the swingarm and how they don't go tight all of the way due to the weld on the arm.  Will they just be ok wound tight to the weld or do people utilise a spacer such as a split washer underneath?

Any replies will be well received.  

Thanks, Dan 😁

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did you get it off the Thunderace Facebook group? If so, I know roughly where it came from! lol.
What year/colour pattern is it?

I'll have a look at mine for the bobbin issue, but I doubt it will be a problem. It's not a light bike, but let's face it, it's only sat there on them... I'm kinda surprised it doesn't already have some on!

Braded lines are definitely worth the money (Front, back & clutch).

Goodridge or HEL appear to be the way to go.

Waterproofs are your friend! Although, I get a lot less wet on my Ace than I do on my V-Strom with a full screen..!

Some things to consider:

1/ If you can service your callipers yourself, that's a good first step.
2/ You shouldn't need it for a while with only 12k on the clock, but at some point you'll need the valve gaps done which is an expensive job if you can't do it yourself as the Ace has 5 bucket valves per cylinder.
3/ Check your fuel lines for deterioration.

4/ Check your chain and sprockets and if it's time, get an uprated heavier set. My ace was eating my chains till I uprated!!!

5/ Take your side panels off and check the dash surround for missing fairing bolts. Replace what's missing and your side panels will fit better and not rattle/touch the frame. (Seems to be a strange thing with Aces, people just seem to loose them all the time! lol

6/ Yambits (amongst others) is your friend for the Ace...

7/ If worn, replace your footpeg rubbers, it's amazing the difference it makes to the Ace with good footpeg rubbers (get from #6 above)!!!

8/ Become a full paid member here, it's a good laugh, and you get insurance discounts!!! :D

Hi Snakebite, thanks for the reply.  I will most likely become a paid up member.  I wanted to see whether anyone still used this forum or even responded to my posts first.  I've been on forums before over the years and some can be quite clicky!

So the Ace came from Cornwall and it is black & silver.  Brake and clutch braideds are winging their way to me as we speak.  Chain & sprocket looks ok for now but an uprated heavier set is a good shout. Any recommendations? I've used Yambits for me Cat quite a lot.  I'll also look at the footpeg rubbers.  Currently, every panel is off!!!  I'm glad to have mole grips!! 🤣

Dan 😁

14 hours ago, Thunderdan said:

Hi Snakebite, thanks for the reply.  I will most likely become a paid up member.  I wanted to see whether anyone still used this forum or even responded to my posts first.  I've been on forums before over the years and some can be quite clicky!

So the Ace came from Cornwall and it is black & silver.  Brake and clutch braideds are winging their way to me as we speak.  Chain & sprocket looks ok for now but an uprated heavier set is a good shout. Any recommendations? I've used Yambits for me Cat quite a lot.  I'll also look at the footpeg rubbers.  Currently, every panel is off!!!  I'm glad to have mole grips!! 🤣

Dan 😁

Not cliquey... Just a bit quiet at the moment. ^^

You'd have to ask a dealer or someone about chains, I don't know the first thing about them (unless they're forklift lift chains!).

What the hell are you doing to it with molegrips??? lol

aha, the molegrips were the only way to get the fairing bolts out.  Rusted assortment of odd bolts, not been removed in a long time.  After 4 days of penetrating fluid, was finally able to remove!! I'm slowly making this machine nice again, albeit well out of my comfort zone!!

Edited by Thunderdan

Aaah...

Probolt do some nice replacement stuff in Alu, SS & Ti.