Spark plugs

This post is 608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone know what i am missing? Spark plug socket wont go down over ones in bike. 

There appears to be something sitting over the plugs. 

Crude pic attached.

Is there anything unique about these bikes? Asked question on American site and they said there are helicoils fitted (to all 4??) and i need a new cylinder head. Seems a bit extreme!

Even if helicoils were fitted, you still need to screw the plugs into place.

Thanks in advance.

20220728_140123.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

From your 'Crude pic', even if there are helicoils on there, they don't appear to extend beyond the nut.
So, I'd be more inclined to wonder if either:
1/ You're using the wrong sized socket (aftermarket / foreign plugs).

or

2/ Your socket isn't long enough (aftermarket / foreign plugs).

Try a different/deeper socket...

Not a clue I'm afraid, I just use what fits! lol

On my vmax i have a socket i have ground down to fit better. There are only a few plug sizes, check on the bench that the plug fits the inside of the socket you have then grind it down till it fits.

Not scientific but works. There must be a socket that fits, not wanting to cast doubt on the nay sayers that called for a new head. The blindingly obvious fact is, someone put the plugs IN. They would not have done that without a socket.

Go to Halfords and buy their box spanner plug remover usual sizes are 5/8 inch and 13/16. That way you don't have to grind down a socket. Just remember that box spanners are thin walled and will slip if you go gorilla on them! The cost is about £12 for a box spanner set.

22 hours ago, slice said:

Go to Halfords and buy their box spanner plug remover usual sizes are 5/8 inch and 13/16. That way you don't have to grind down a socket. Just remember that box spanners are thin walled and will slip if you go gorilla on them! The cost is about £12 for a box spanner set.

Agreed, but many people do go gorilla on plugs for some unknown reason, or worse put them in dry, we all know thats a bad idea from our own personal spark plug. 

The first time on my v max i could not get enough force on the box spanner in the toolkit so had to get a bit serious. They came out but cracking them off was scary. 

Who does plugs up that tight?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online