Stuck exup

This post is 637 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My son has a '96 Thunderace, low mileage, which he bought quite cheaply after he wrote his old ZZR1400 off.

While his wrist recovers I'm going through the bike for him. Most of it seems good, if tatty, but I'm having a real problem with the exup valve. It's seized and seems to be seized in the fully closed position.

It was a dog to get out, corroded and broken up cable pulley, snapped bolts etc. I'm fairly handy and can fix most things eventually, but what has got me really stuck is that the blade part of the valve is seized solid in the plate which unbolts from the exhaust. Absolutely nothing will shift it. And I can't find a replacement even if I drill the damn thing out.

Can't  a full Black widow exhaust, so I'm looking for options - drill some holes in the blade, cut half the blade away, cut it out altogether ???

Don't usually ask for help, but I don't know what to do next. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The reason you can't find one is because removing it is one of the first things that people do with the Ace (no one ever gets around to servicing it regularly!)...
But they do come up on E-Bay from time to time, you just have to keep your eye out regularly (there was actually a 'New, Old Stock' full Ace exhaust for sale not long ago!!! (It would have been mine, but I just didn't have the cash! lol)).

You can't just remove it, your performance will suffer. If you want to remove it, you'll need to replace your headers. I've been thinking about coughing up for this beauty:
YZF1000 R Thunderace 1996-2003 Exhaust Downpipes Headers (blackwidowexhausts.co.uk)

If you remove it, you need to either leave the exup servo in place, or get one of those little electronic dooberies that fool the bike into thinking it's still there.

As for freeing up the one you have.
Give it a DAMN good scrub, to get any crap off it that's accessible, then immerse it in Paraffin and leave it alone for a week or two. Then have another go at it.
Don't go nuts on it, it would be easy to break. Just keep working it, it will come loose eventually.

Then you'll have to clean its surfaces up really nice before re-assembling it.

Thanks Snakebite68.  I'm getting to the end of my rope with the damn thing now. Soaked it in oil, WD40, paraffin, heated it, but it won't budge.

I'm very tempted by the Blackwidow exhaust too, but even the cheapest option is more than a third of the cost of the bike 👀.

I'll  keep trying.

I wonder if a halfway house solution might be an option- anyone tried drilling some holes in the blade, or cutting the bottom half of the blade away ? Can you tell I'm clutching at straws here ? 😁

Oh, you'll spend at least 1x the cost of the Ace on it! That's normal...

Don't give up with the Paraffin bath idea, you've gotta dump it in there and leave it (a week or 2!).
If you start cutting bits of it, or drilling, you might as well get a new one.

yamaha exup ru frontpipe | eBay

There's your start (assuming it's for a Thunderace), after that, you'll need the valve its self...

Where about are you based?

23 hours ago, Malc Johnstone said:

Thanks Snakebite68.  I'm getting to the end of my rope with the damn thing now. Soaked it in oil, WD40, paraffin, heated it, but it won't budge.

I'm very tempted by the Blackwidow exhaust too, but even the cheapest option is more than a third of the cost of the bike 👀.

I'll  keep trying.

I wonder if a halfway house solution might be an option- anyone tried drilling some holes in the blade, or cutting the bottom half of the blade away ? Can you tell I'm clutching at straws here ? 😁

You cannot look at it from a numbers game, the bike as is, its a boat anchor. All its good for. If the rest of the bike is good and has years in it and you plan on keeping it for a couple of seasons then selling, 300 quid (plus can) is not the end of the world. You will get some back in improved resale by being able to prove no exup issues.

If you were undecided on spending that on a new fairing panel against mending the old one, fair do's. But an exhaust, i would have bought it already.

Are you talking about the link for full pipes I posted? It's £294.99, not 400...

And it will fit his existing end can, so you don't need to swap that out until you want to.

However, if you're interested in a new end can too, I like the look of these:
Blueflame-performance-motorcycle-exhaust-and-systems (blueflameperformance.com)

I'm currently trying to hassle them into doing me a twin port, tri-oval, blued titanium one.
For some reason, it seems to be one of the few variations they don't offer... :(

Yeah, thanks Snakebite68. I didn't follow the link , just had a look at their website. I'll probably go for the system and just chuck the standard can back on, for now.

He can have a look and figure out a can for himself 😁

Recommend the Blueflame stuff, decent quality 👍

Thank you very much jcr, that's a really good article. Unfortunately, I'd already taken most of the steps explained there. I ended up with a pulley wheel that was so corroded it broke up, lots of snapped bolts and an exup valve that was seized so tight in the housing that I think someone must've welded it there for a laugh.

I managed to break the exup blade trying to get the damn thing out. To replace all the parts was in excess of £700, versus 294 for a Black Widow system.

I'd recommend the Black Widow solution very highly. Beautifully made, perfect fit, brilliant delivery and the bike sounds awesome now. Absolute bargain and no more exup misery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malc Johnstone said:

I'd recommend the Black Widow solution very highly. Beautifully made, perfect fit, brilliant delivery and the bike sounds awesome now. Absolute bargain and no more exup misery.

So you bought the one I linked?
Is it really that good?
Is there plenty of room between the headers and your fairing (the one I currently have on has melted a hole in my bottom fairing!!!)?
Don't forget a new set of exhaust seals! :D

The Black Widow system is excellent mate. As well as supplying new gaskets, they included a tube of sealant too. The whole thing fitted together perfectly, with springs and hooks to hold it together. Very solid and, from a mechanical nerdy perspective,  looks like a supermodel compared to the original. Significant weight saving too.

I have some tarting up work to do on the fairing panels, so they're not back on yet, but the system fits so neatly around the engine cases I can't imagine it coming into close contact with anything. 

The Black Widow system is excellent mate. As well as supplying new gaskets, they included a tube of sealant too.

Sealant for in between the different parts? Or for the manifold end?
If it's for the manifold end, don't bother, just get the crushable copper washers, they're original and do the job just fine with no mess...

The whole thing fitted together perfectly, with springs and hooks to hold it together. Very solid and, from a mechanical nerdy perspective,  looks like a supermodel compared to the original. Significant weight saving too.

Yeah, I like the sprung together look too, and the answer to my above question will tell me how they go together lol.
I've already got an aftermarket exhaust, so it won't be as much of a difference, but I've seen an Ace with original exhaust, and they're not pretty! lol

I have some tarting up work to do on the fairing panels, so they're not back on yet, but the system fits so neatly around the engine cases I can't imagine it coming into close contact with anything. 

Yeah, you'd think that, but always be suspicious of anything 3rd party!
Particularly if you have to paste the parts together, they may need a little fertling once you get the panels on (mainly the belly pan).

Well, from what you've said, I may have to bite the bullet and save the money up for one myself now...

I didn't use the paste on the gaskets, no need, they were proper crushable jobs.

I used the paste on the sections that joined together, but, honestly, they were that good a fit and a generous overlap that I could likely have done without it

Hoping to refit the belly pan and possibly fairing tomorrow- I'll be sure to post a full review of the proceedings on here.

That may get to Wednesday tho, hoping to have a look at a Tuono Factory tomorrow evening.  I sold my 1200 Tiger Explorer last year, with every intention of stopping riding after my missus was diagnosed with breast cancer. But she's recovered well from surgery and chemotherapy  and I'm finding the bike bug, after 50 years, is still strong. Won't be going touring anymore, which is what I bought the Tiger for, but I'm struggling to do without one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snakebite68 said:

but I've seen an Ace with original exhaust, and they're not pretty! lol

i have an original exhaust and i like it 😝

Most that I've had a good look at were on E-Bay and weren't in good condition, but one was New Old Stock and pristine.
Still not pretty! And HEAVY!!! 😛

The Black widow exhaust is a really good fit all round, but I'm glad Snakebite68 voiced his concern about the proximity of the exhaust to the fairing.

The sides of the belly pan were close enough to cause me to space them out a bit. Probably not the fault of the system, to be fair, more to with the bendy brackets.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malc Johnstone said:

The sides of the belly pan were close enough to cause me to space them out a bit. Probably not the fault of the system, to be fair, more to with the bendy brackets.

Yup, that's the bonus of those types of exhaust though, you can niggle them a bit to get a better fit.
Mine is a solid one, bugger all I can do about it... 😕

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online