1981 Yamaha XS400 Cafe build, Drain Plug Stripped and Other Issues

XS400Noob_RI
This post is 662 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys! I went to change my oil for the first time on my bike I just got last fall. All excited until I saw the Oil Drain Plug. Completely stripped! I tried going full bore with channel-locks because it was too far gone to be cautious with and it wouldn't didn't budge, just kept stripping worse and worse. I thought I'd come here before I get myself in a bigger jam. I noticed there are kits online to drill out drain plugs but I don't want to go that far if I can help it. 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get this puppy unstuck? Oh, and I ordered a new oil drain plug, dumb question but; oil drain plugs are universal right? I mean I got the 14x1.5 threads I knew that, but I don't know what the specs of my drain plug are aside from the 17mm bolt head. (Sorry but I'm new, its in the name lol).

Also a more pressing issue: She won't turn over! Turn the key, push the button, it cranks with nothing as much as a back fire. 

Here's the interesting part: after a few seconds of holding down the button the ignition sounds like it starts to slow, but I turn the handlebars from side-to-side and it jumps goes back to normal. Could this be a wiring issue?

Finally, I'm completely new to the world of motorcycles, if you have ANY tips for a new rider whether its maintained or riding it would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there and welcome.

If your're moving the handlebars and it's causing a change in something that's being run by electricity, then for sure you've got a wiring issue!!

The wiring loom runs down past the steering head, and has all the wires from the handlebar switches within it. However, it's also designed with a bit of slack to help it move with the handlebar. Unfortunately, your bike is already over 40 years old (1981) and the wiring loom will be breaking down. Nothing lasts forever and plastics and rubber are the first things to go brittle and become cracked as the years become decades. The loom will no longer be as flexible and will now be quite stiff.

After 40 years of movement you can expect exposed wiring and broken wires from all that motion within the covering. A repair maybe possible by stripping away the covering and finding the fault but putting it back together and expecting it to last is another matter.  The likelyhood of this happening to another wire in the same area will be very high. The most sensible solution would be to replace the aged loom for a new one, but that requires stripping the bike down. Regretfully the loom is often the first thing that gets attached to a bare frame in manufacturing and everything else is bolted on around it!

How long do wiring looms last for? a difficult question as some will say they know of 100 year old vehicles still working, however, the manufacturers never designed them to last or even expected them to last! The fact you're having issues with yours suggest it's starting to reach the end of it's serviceable life.

You can probably get it repaired, but you may find a previous repair.! either way it won't fix itself.

kind regards NE0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online