1991 XJ600 full restoration after 12 years off the road

mozpdragon
This post is 689 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I'm after some help and advice as I'm in the process of putting my XJ600 back on the road after 12 years not being used. I've got a new battery fitted and most of the electrics seem to be working but when I try to start the bike all I get is the oil light coming on which is expected but nothing else happens. I have found some cut wires which maybe from mice so I'm in the process of tracing all the wires in the loom for anymore damage.

Any advice or hints/tips would be grateful 

20220402_091144_2.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get a cat..!

But slightly more seriously, don't try to start it again until you've traced all the damaged wires, you don't wanna short anything out.

• Like 1

As Snakebite said go through the loom front to back, seat off tank off and check it all. It's a simple loom and usually easy to spot broken wires if the rodents have been munching on them. After 12 years also oil down the bores (just a teaspoon full) buy yourself a tin of "EASY START", makes the whole thing much easier to get running or at least fire if it's going to.What to Do When Your Cat Brings a 'Gift'

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online