DT125 RE 2005

This post is 674 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys I’ve recently got a new bike (Guess which one lol). It’s far from untouched and I would love to really show it some attention, do some tasteful mods and stuff, and I would like to bring it up to date with everything that has happened in the past 17 years. 

it’s currently got a few mods but it’s a bit of a mystery, I know it has an Athena top end kit, I believe someone has put forks off of something else on there and they’re leaking so I’ll need to figure that out.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for mods, any niche things that you think are cool.

It doesn’t have an mot at the moment and everything plastic from the fuel tank forward is broken, if anyone can help source some bits to replace these I’d be grateful, I’m not fussy about what they look like as long as they are in one piece 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

All plastic from the fuel tank forward broken / Forks leaking...
Check it hasn't had a front end smash, which means are the forks bent, radiator (if it has one) damaged, head of the frame damaged, wheel damage, front brake damage or handlebar damage.
There's your first job!!!

On 5/8/2022 at 10:22 PM, Snakebite68 said:

All plastic from the fuel tank forward broken / Forks leaking...
Check it hasn't had a front end smash, which means are the forks bent, radiator (if it has one) damaged, head of the frame damaged, wheel damage, front brake damage or handlebar damage.
There's your first job!!!

Hi there, I gave it a good look through and I assume it has gone into something but at a very low speed, enough to break those ageing plastics but not enough to do any real damage 

Snakebite is right, you should really check the bike at the front, bikes are incredibly delicate at the front end, even a small 1 or 2 degree bend can mean the difference between leaking forks or not. Your right that ageing plastics do break easier than new ones but it still takes force to break even the most manky ones. When your life depends on it always assume the worst till you have had it checked.

Or worse, if one fork is bent a couple of degrees, and the other one isn't!!!
Or a crack in your head bracket on the frame which you'd never notice unless you get in there to check it properly.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your reply, I’ve investigated it properly now and I’m certain that the forks are just standard wear and tear and the seals are shot, I’ve got them ordered in now and I’ve found all the other bits I wanted, fairings etc, looking forward to seeing it completed and mot’d now, I’ll share when I’m done :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online