Yamaha WR250F 2018 Engine cut out

ian1964
This post is 667 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI All

Looking for a bit of help, recently bought a bike after not been on one for 40 years, its a Yamaha WR250F 2018 model, which has run great until now, last week I was out and it missed and spluttered and finally stopped and would not start, after leaving it for about 15 minutes all was well and it got me home, changed the plug which looked ok, done a few more rides out and all ok, so I thought maybe I had some dirty fuel.  anyway went out today and it just cut out, engine warning light was flashing 3 long followed by 3 short flashes ,it did start after leaving it for a bout 30 mins,  just looking for any help at what the problem may be

Many Thanks

Ian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On a bit of a rummage, what I'm getting is:  Ignition coil (faulty ignition)...

Sounds like the coil breaking down when hot

Many thanks for the reply's appreciate it

Have removed coil and tested, Primary Resistance is a small amount out at 2.7 (Yama manual says 2.16 to 2.64) however this is measured when its cold, and as Finnerz said I have only had problems when the engine is hot 

Secondary resistance and plug cap all checked out ok, I have gone ahead and ordered a new coil, hopefuly this will fix the problem, will report back. (coil on a 15 day delivery time )

Regards

Ian 

We shall await...

21 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Many thanks for the reply's appreciate it

Have removed coil and tested, Primary Resistance is a small amount out at 2.7 (Yama manual says 2.16 to 2.64) however this is measured when its cold, and as Finnerz said I have only had problems when the engine is hot 

Secondary resistance and plug cap all checked out ok, I have gone ahead and ordered a new coil, hopefuly this will fix the problem, will report back. (coil on a 15 day delivery time )

Regards

Ian 

What about the high output, did you check the lead and the cap/plug. Coil dont normally 'just die'. especially being a single it would be gradually worse intil it died.

Something simpler, check the wiring, earths to the engine in particular. Ig switch too.

4 hours ago, Cynic said:

Coil dont normally 'just die'. especially being a single it would be gradually worse intil it died.

Since it's a recent purchase, maybe it HAS been getting gradually worse for a while, hence the sale! lol

Thanks for you're replies 

Cynic , yes I checked the Secondary side (coil to spark plug cap) was 11.5 , and plug cap to cap which was 9.46 all within the limits , there is no ignition switch but I will check the earths I guess there is more than one.

I have had the bike for 6 months now and have put on just over a thousand miles with no problems , first time it happened the bike started and seamed ok after leaving it for about 15/20 minutes, the second time the bike had cooled down and stopped just after I had set off.

I tracked a site down that said the 3 short flashes and 3 long flashes on the engine warning light pointed to error code 33 which is ignition coil (faulty ignition ) 

Have ordered a coil and hoping this is the problem, however may be wrong as its a bit strange that its only done it twice and bike had done a further 100 miles before it stopped again.

Regards

Ian  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, and delighted to hear it is running well 

• Like 1

Yey! :D

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online