YZF-600R '01 chain hitches

Omahenk
This post is 693 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I started hearing some grinding noise coming from the rear wheel. Was unable to feel anything strange in the wheel when lifted up on a stand so continued riding.
The noise got worse so I took the rear wheel out and found out the bearing inside the chain carrier had completely blown apart and I just had some scraps left in place. Now I have replaced the rear wheel bearings and the chain carrier bearings. This feels good again but now I have a different problem. This could be what caused the bearing to fail before, or the other way around. I'm not really sure how to describe the issue (not native English speaker) but I'll try my best. 

When I have the bike up on stands and in any gear at low rpm (below 3k) with the clutch engaged the bike makes a nasty clacking sound. It's not constant and get's worse when I rev it up a little and let it drop to idle. I can feel and see the bike move quite a bit with every clack. I checked the chain and sprockets and they seem fine (replaced 4k km's ago). Wheel is aligned as far as I can tell and I set the chain tension according to the manual. 

As soon as I disengage the clutch the noise stops, not sure where to start looking (I'm afraid I might have to dig into the gearbox/clutch but don't want to if I don't have to)

Any ideas or tips on diagnosing this issue?

Cheers from the Netherlands

(I can upload a video of the noise if that would be usefull)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
18 minutes ago, Omahenk said:

(I can upload a video of the noise if that would be usefull)

It would be useful...

Welcome to the YOC, as above a video is what is needed, it's easier to diagnose something you can see.

Have you checked the chain guides for wear? Is there a roller the chain runs over?

Shame you didn't show us the bottom of the chain too, but...
Interesting sound!
My guesses are:
1/ The chain is too tight.

2/ The chain is trashed (check stretch (doesn't matter how old it is, my Thunderace eats chains!)).

3/ You have a bearing well on the way out, it might be worth making sure you haven't missed a spacer and clamped the bearings down, check this diagram to make sure you have all the spacers in the wheel and in the right order:
Yamaha YZF600R THUNDERCAT (4TVB, 2001) 070 A 2001 REAR WHEEL supplied next day (UK only) by Fowlers Parts
The obvious answer would be the front sprocket shaft bearings:
Yamaha YZF600R THUNDERCAT (4TVB, 2001) 070 A 2001 TRANSMISSION supplied next day (UK only) by Fowlers Parts

4/ As finnerz89 said above, check your chain guide isn't worn away...

If it's nothing obvious, I'd get it into a garage for a checkup ASAP, whatever that is is either stupidly easy to fix or eating something (or both). And you don't want to leave it long enough for it to actually eat something!

Noise is faster than the rear wheel. 

Don't like saying it but if the carrier bearing had destroyed its self but the wheel bearings were good. 

You could be looking at an output shaft bearing... 

Thanks everyone for the replies.

@Finnerz89 The chain guides are looking to be okay, no excessive wear and the chain doesn't seem to bother with any of it. It's only got a top and bottom guide, no roller. 

@Snakebite68

1. I set the tension according to my workshop manual, checked it at different locations and also tried to see what happens if I loosen it further then specified. Sounds stays the same sadly.
2. Measured the link length at different parts of the chain and it's within spec
3. When the carrier bearing had gone to shit I indeed had forgotten the spacer between the carrier bearing and the wheel bearing as this was gone as well. Drove it for about 50km without. I have since replaced all bearings (since the carrier bearing was dying again) in the rear and made sure all spacers are there. Torqued to spec. 
I could not feel or hear any obvious wear on the front sprocket but then again I'm no expert.
4. see above

@Cynic I was afraid it was going to be something in the gearbox. 

Might try to open it up over the weekend or maybe it's time to bring it to the shops and have someone look at it with experienced eyes.

Unfortunately as Cynic say's it does sound like a bearing eating itself! Best option if your up for it is to take the chain off and see if the final drive sprocket at the gearbox end is loose or worn. Grab it with your hand and see if you can get any movement out of it wether up and down or back and forth. Snakebite is also right in a bad chain can make it sound like that as well. There is definately a problem there you just have to knock off the faults till you find where it is. A garage will help but if you just ask them to find the fault then do it yourself when your sure where and what it is. Good luck.

Ahh so knowing that you missed a rear wheel spacer out and rode it, I would definitely say it's now more likely to be the output shaft bearing.

As slice says, take the chain off and check for free play and end float in the output shaft. 

To check the output shaft, it might be an idea to take the sprocket off and replace it with a bar with a hole in it (if you can manufacture such), it will give you more leverage for wiggling.

Thanks again everyone, tomorrow I got myself a day off and will try and see if it's the front sprocket bearing. 
I like the tip to take the sprocket off and put a bar over it, might be a little tricky to make something myself but it's worth a shot. 

I'll give an update once I know more.

2 hours ago, Omahenk said:

Thanks again everyone, tomorrow I got myself a day off and will try and see if it's the front sprocket bearing. 
I like the tip to take the sprocket off and put a bar over it, might be a little tricky to make something myself but it's worth a shot. 

I'll give an update once I know more.

Worst come to worst, a cloth round it to protect the shaft and a pair of mole grips.
Of course, if you can wiggle it around without that, then you know it's buggered!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online