Clutch let down

Spanni
This post is 654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Finally MOT'd my FZR1000 Genesis ready for some summer fun, trouble is the clutch engages right at the end when letting out the lever , it feels okay but can't get neutral with engine running so probably dragging, bled it twice, not a bubble! So with no other adjustment I'm thinking It will need the plates looking at.

Not really a problem but is there anything else worth checking first before I dive in head first!

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Actually there might be, not saying Tommy is wrong but the cables do strech over time, depending on how hard they have to work to pull the plates apart. You might want to check the length of the inner cable first against the recommended length and also check the  mechanism for the clutch cable fixing point on the engine just to make sure that they are still in the correct place as it can get knocked and moved out of alignment. If you have a hydraulic clutch check the ball bearing and the rod for wear or if they have become seperated. Also measure the plates (steel and Cork) for thickness just to make sure they are still in tolerance, nothing worse than buying all the kit and it's a bent rod or slack cable. Also check the length of the springs as those buggers can also get squashed over time and lead to a dodgy clutch. My FJ1200 had a problem with the springs just replaced them and it was all good. Not saying it is any of these things but best to check them before you shell out on plates and don't need them.

Yep hydraulic in operation, no cables, and no adjusters, thanks Slice looks like I'll be popping the cover off sometime soon for a closer look.

It's hydraulic Slice, you could try an oil change but I think at the end of the day your gonna have to open her up so you may as well stick a new clutch in and have done with it.

• Like 1

Yup, bad fluid brings the lever closer to the bar as you have to compress it more to make things happen, right at the end of travel is worn plates.

if its hydraulic try bleeding it first well TBH a fluid change wont hurt it , definetly do that before opening up the engine , if it aint broke dont fix it is my motto

aha i see you have tried bleeding it , try cable tying the clutch lever to the handlebar overnight sometimes that will let a bit of air out that bleeding does not want to shift , or back bleed it with a syronge from the nipple up to the master cylinder

• 2 months later...

check the pushrod isnt covered in muck from the chain on the sprocket side. i have heard of this causing an headache for people.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online