Ticking from engine

Steve D
This post is 772 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there. 

I have a problem with my xvs1100 engine ticking. 

I had the same thing on my 750 Virgo and the garage managed to sort it out but didn't tell me what exactly it was. 

It's coming from the left side where the timing gears are and it's driving me mad. 

I've been told to just set the tickover higher but it just sounds crap. 

Any help would be great thanks. 

Steve 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Steve

Can you post a video, that'll help others hear exactly what you're hearing 

Hi Steve. On the FJR if it ticks then it's probably the cam chain tensioner on the way out, so having said that it might be worth while swapping out the cam chain tensioner on yours. But as Jimmy said a video would make it so much easier to get a proper look. Make sure you video both sides of the engine AND the whole bike front too back all the way round. Believe it or not I took mine in to the garage for a similar thing and it was the top box lower bolt clanking against the frame! Yeah I did feel a dick head?🙈

Hi Slice.

It's on a v star so v twin engine. 

Somebody has mentioned that if the gears have been locked with a screwdriver it could cause a dent in the teeth and this could be why but I just want to be certain before I spend money replacing the wrong bits. 

Cheers mate 

Duplicate post?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online