Thunderace Rear Shock problems...

Snakebite68
This post is 818 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My Ace has been a little poorly, my swingarm stopped... lol

After much deliberation I decided to do it myself.

It actually turned out that the swingarm bearings were fine, it was my suspension rocker linkage. ALL the bearings in it were toast (insert regular maintenance comments here...)!

THEN it turned out that my rocker linkage had a manufacturers defect, so I had to go get one from E-Bay...

After MUCH buggering about, I got it all cleaned up and fixed! :D

However...

Once it was all back together, and everything worked, it turned out that my rear shock was toast!!! It made for quite a bouncy ride home! rofl

So, here's my issue:

Is the rear shock on the Thunderace sealed? Or can it be serviced?
If it can't be serviced, am I better off picking up one off E-Bay or getting an after market one?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Trouble is buying a used item is it may be as bad as the one you currently have, so thats money down the pan. As for servicing a 23 year old shock, you might struggle to find takers and that may cost as much as a new replacement. A quick web search revealed a YSS new one for £250

I'd go aftermarket. Probably get one with more adjustability than the original too. 

Yss would probably offer the best value for money

12 hours ago, neversaydie said:

Trouble is buying a used item is it may be as bad as the one you currently have, so thats money down the pan. As for servicing a 23 year old shock, you might struggle to find takers and that may cost as much as a new replacement. A quick web search revealed a YSS new one for £250

There's that possibility, but, since mine doesn't work (no resistance) at all, anything that is listed as 'working order' will be better than mine! lol

Would that happen to be the Z-Series?
My problem is I know bugger all about shocks. The YSS site says the Z-Series is the one for the Ace, but mine has an external can, the Z doesn't, does that matter?

Also, a slightly strange issue is that every site I'm looking at says the YSS shock I want for a Thunderace is the MZ366-304TR21, but the actual YSS site says I want the MZ506-345TR-11..! WTF is happening here??? lol
And what's the difference?

10 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

There's that possibility, but, since mine doesn't work (no resistance) at all, anything that is listed as 'working order' will be better than mine! lol

Would that happen to be the Z-Series?
My problem is I know bugger all about shocks. The YSS site says the Z-Series is the one for the Ace, but mine has an external can, the Z doesn't, does that matter?

Thats still a gamble with your money, cos you wont know its in working order till its on the ace. If its an original one, its likely to be 20+ years old and will require a service (if it is serviceable).

The Z series YSS for the ace (MZ506-345TR-11) is adjustable for preload and rebound. I believe the originals were also adjustable for compression. I haven't looked, but I suspect you could have a replacement Nitron, adjustable for all three, for 3 times the price of the Yss. Unless you're raggin the Ace on track, that may not be cost effective.

Yeah, cost effectiveness is key in my case unfortunately! lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online