1984 DT50MX will not run

Phil66
This post is 432 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
9 hours ago, drewpy said:

done

All hail the banhammer!!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Still couldn’t get it to run. Compression seemed low and not pulling fuel. Stripped down top end and some nicks in piston ring, but no barrel scoring. Exhaust port had rough edge. That is now dressed and new piston, rings and gaskets on order. Hope this finally sorts it

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, Phil66 said:

Still couldn’t get it to run. Compression seemed low and not pulling fuel. Stripped down top end and some nicks in piston ring, but no barrel scoring. Exhaust port had rough edge. That is now dressed and new piston, rings and gaskets on order. Hope this finally sorts it

You said all these parts were new or excellent condition earlier in the thread? Dont see a new piston and rings sorting it, have known 2 strokes can run with badly broken/damaged rings and piston. my tdr had a chunk missing from the crown and a destroyed top ring and ran quit acceptably, by no means top dog but it ran. The daughter's ped had both rings in several parts some of which in the exhaust and that ran too, badly.

That stator coil is a more likely villain. Its def got an electrical feel as mechanicals are normally an either or kind of issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cynic yes you are right pistons can still work in poor condition but I am clutching at straws.  The stator coil is about the only thing in the circuit not swapped out. Good shout.  The lighting coil is working fine, both look imaculate, but that doesn’t mean anything. I put in new piston and rings and no joy.  I will source another coil. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Great, thanks for letting us know.

• 1 month later...

To do this, many people use the services of car services, using diagnostic equipment. It is the special equipment that will give the necessary guarantee of a high-quality inspection. But there are bikers who know absolutely everything about their motorcycle, and they do all the necessary work themselves. Motorcycle repairs are necessary in case of malfunctions in the chassis, when the spokes of the wheel break off, the rear suspension bushings wear out. It is best to replace them with new ones. Faulty brakes in heavy motorcycles may have bullied brake drums or oiled brake pads. It is also very important to find suitable motorcycle tyres.

Edited by continentalsey

• 8 months later...

That post from Vira above is a copy and paste of part of my earlier post in this thread, taken from my 4th posting it is word for word including punctuation which suggests this is a BOT post and is not wanted here.

• Like 1

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 432 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.