Back after a break

Oldfjman
This post is 807 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Jeez, it seems like an age since I've been on here. A lot has changed, but nothing has changed (wife and I both lost out remaining parents during lockdowns; wife lost her sister and 2 aunts, I need a hip replacement, wife has been diagnosed with angina and our son has been diagnosed with FND and now needs a wheelchair to get around), we still have the same bikes and like everyone else we're getting to used to life outside lockdown again.

This past year I've made a couple of subtle changes to the FJ (Fazer 1000 mirrors, wavy rear disc, braided stainless clutch line) as well giving her a bit of a deep clean, but mostly I've just been riding her. Quite a few 100-200 mile day trips and a couple of 300-350 mile ones, but no touring holidays......buying a motorhome and touring the UK in that, has put paid to multi-day bike trips for a while (at least until the novelty wears off). We usually take our bicycles and kayaks with the motorhome, so at least we're always "moving". The 2 Fazers have mostly sat in the garage, apart from the occasional time I take a ride on them just to keep everything moving. We're hoping for much better things in 2022 health-wise, so expecting to put a lot more miles on the Fazer's (the FJ has only done about 4,000 miles in the last year or so).

So, I am alive, I'm still riding and the bikes are going well. Now I just need to remember how to post/insert photo's - can't remember how it's done !!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome back! :D

Thanks lads, it's been a bit of a rollercoaster...you know, the bit where it just goes downhill fast 🤣......we're seriously trying to make the best of things right now and just trying to get on and enjoy our lives.

Am I right in thinking the best way to post a photo is to put it in the gallery first and then link it somehow ?

Edited by Oldfjman

hi there, welcome back, although i didn't know you'd gone😆.

As regards to posting photos, it seems the best way is to open a free Flickr account, upload your photos to it, then it gives you a code to paste in your text message, which then shows up in your message.

I did it, and it seems pretty easy to do, I just followed the instructions here

https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/45201-uploading-photos/

it's a little out of date as the sequence has changed slightly but its pretty straight forward and i was up and running quite quickly. Once uploaded, you preview your photo and the code is automatically produced so you can copy and paste it.

hope that helps.

and once again...welcome back.

Edited by NE0

Looks like I won't be posting any photo's then. I'm not having a Flickr account, got my fingers burned twice before with these things losing everything once they decided to start charging you for using their "services", which included receiving incessant adverts 😟

I suppose that's why I migrated over to other FB user groups and forums, they're just so much easier to share stuff with, but at least I'll still hang out here though. 👍 

• Like 1

I must be me being thick (or maybe just old!) - I can't see any "attach" option in the dialog box as I'm typing out this  comment, all I can see is the "Other Media" box in the bottom right of the text panel, but when I click on that I get 2 choices, the first says "Insert existing attachment" - which only has 1 photo in it, of a FS1E, and a text box which says "search this media type" (I've no idea what to type in there, putting in jpeg does nothing); and the second says "Insert Image From URL", with a box to type a www. location into. I think I used to use this one to type in the links to the photo's in my "tinypic" account.

So, I think I can see how to link photo's from the likes Flickr, but not photo's I've got on my PC.

I might be going crazy, I might be stupid, but this has just got the better of me at the moment - and I can't include screen shots to help with my explanations..........I do feel like a right plonker right now 🤣

Now that I've sorted myself out (didn't realise I had to become a member to get the "attach" option), here's a couple of pics of me and the FJ from a ride out a couple of weeks ago.

4.JPG

13.jpg

8a.JPG

14.jpg

• Like 4

And a couple when I'd given her a good clean up to show at the Rugby Bike Fest.

I LOVE this bike !!

2nd Oct.jpg

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 9.jpg

• Like 3

And a few more photos - this time from the "Ride To The Wall" event, at the National Memorial Arboretum, back at the start of October - truly one of the most moving experiences of my life. Over 8,000 people, on 6,000 bikes, all joined together in remembrance of those who have lost their lives in the Armed Forces and Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance etc) since the end of WW2, and in support of their families, friends and comrades.

I joined with a couple of mates at Leicester Forest Services on the M1 for one of the 11 group ride-in's.

0.JPG

0a.JPG

0c.JPG

1.JPG

2a.JPG

5.JPG

11.JPG

15.JPG

13.JPG

• Like 3

Blimey Oldman. Have been reading your comments about posting pics and like yourself found it very complicated. But your pics are brilliant. Will look into it for sure.
Mike.

I see there is some Naval personnel in one of your photo's.
Mike.

Yeah Mike, it seemed impossible until I realised you have to take up a paid membership to get the Attach Files option. I actually didn't even realise there was such a thing as the paid membership until this - maybe it was just me not paying attention, or maybe I missed something.

TBH I really don't mind this, it's much better than paying a hosting service and it costs little enough that I think it's very worthwhile.

Now I find posting photo's a piece of cake - hence I've put a few up 🤣

There were people from all sides of the Armed Forces there, as well as Police, Fire and Ambulance personnel. It was a really moving day. I thought this was a stunning piece of work for a jacket and just had to get a decent photo of it. It's a really visual reminder of the Falklands conflict. 👍 

9.JPG

• Like 3

Please excuse my ignorance Oldman, especially being an ex-serviceman but is the "National Memorial Arboretum" at Stafford?
The reason I asked is seeing a matelot in one of your pics has brought back so many memories of when I was in the RN. Wether I could of attended or not I don't know but just seeing him standing there with a cup of tea in his hand to me is priceless. Possibly a stoker, ME being "mechanical engineer"?
I think that the branch badges now are different to when they were in my day.

Mike.

I never served, but I did have a certain amount of contact with the army back in the 80s, and if there's one thing I picked up from my time running with them was:

Eat, sleep, drink tea. Whenever you get the chance, do one of these! lol

15 hours ago, mike1949 said:

Please excuse my ignorance Oldman, especially being an ex-serviceman but is the "National Memorial Arboretum" at Stafford?
The reason I asked is seeing a matelot in one of your pics has brought back so many memories of when I was in the RN. Wether I could of attended or not I don't know but just seeing him standing there with a cup of tea in his hand to me is priceless. Possibly a stoker, ME being "mechanical engineer"?
I think that the branch badges now are different to when they were in my day.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

It's just outside of Lichfield. The next "Ride to the Wall" is on 1st October 2022, but I'm sure there's no issue in driving there, if its not practical to go on a bike.

I didn't really serve - I was "in the RAF" at Biggin Hill for 10 days going through the selection process for a Pilot Officer Training sponsorship for University (I wanted to be a fighter jet pilot), but was invalided out due to my hip issues. They couldn't risk me wearing a G suit, as my leg would likely freeze when the suit pressurised my lower body, and I'd be in agony....and probably just crash. At the time I turned down the chance to be a "transport" pilot or ground crew. But, I have an affinity to anyone who served, they deserve our support.

Here's a couple of links, one to RTTW and one to the Arboretum.

Cheers Oldman, have been looking into what you said but in all honesty although it's do-able on a bike maybe not feasible as from where I live as it would be 134 miles (2h 15m)
If I were living on my own I would make a weekend of it but due to various family commitments I daren't push my luck.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online