XV535 really rough/ bouncy ride - is this normal?

BikerchickMT03
This post is 727 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone on here ride a virago 535? I've just changed over from an MT03 660 single to the '96 virago and boy the suspension is... rough. I've never ridden cruisers before and while I get on with the bike quite well (and understand it's a totally different engine), it's the suspension that's giving me trouble (I've already changed the rear shocks for softer ones, checked the tyre pressue, and confirmed the forks are working just fine). Anyone have any experience riding both cruisers and tourers? My voice is shaking from the ride (when I speak to my husband over our headsets) and my shoulders are taking a beating. Is this just "how the virago is" when compared to other bikes? Wondering if this is the normal experience others have had, as a sanity check. Thanks all!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok,  i take it the front end is too hard,  . sounds like its over filled with oil,,   drain some and see if it softens,

Shouldnt ride like that at all. When new the ride was reported to be "plush". Last ones were made in 2004, dont know how old yours is, but its likely the forks are due for a refresh. They would have been on the soft side as new. Check the swingarm pivot is not seized

• 5 months later...

My wife had a 535 and ran it for 40k miles. (I did the maintenance.) This may not address your issues but 535s are critical of their head race bearings.  Like any cruiser, the forks are long and angled forward. This put an exceptional load on the steering head race bearings.  Only realised our 535 needed new bearings when the bike was raised to change the front tyre - you could feel the 'clunk' (in the straight ahead position) when the handle-bars were swung from side to side.  Undetectable when the bike was on it's wheels.  New bearings transformed the handling.  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online