A suspicious gear box problem YBR 125

Oliver.Rodwell
This post is 907 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently bought my first motorcycle, a 2011 yamaha ybr 125. I rode it a bit at the dealership and everything seemed okay; I have since taken it from london to durham on the back of a trailer (unfortunately I left it in neutral which I have been told isn't ideal). It has since developed an issue with the gearbox where sometimes (not everytime) it won't go from neutral into first gear. This is obviously rather dangerous as I can't pull away at junctions and am sometimes left stuck. 

If anyone knows anything about what might be causing this behaviour please let me know. Thanks. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Travelling the bike on a trailer in neutral is unlikely to damage the gearbox.

Occasional neutral to first problems aren't rare, many riders adopt the technique of slipping the bike into first while it is still moving (just before coming to a stop at junctions etc), because the parts are still rotating, it makes it easier to find first gear.

I would be wary of the advice in the future from the person saying traveling the bike on a trailer in neutral is bad. You leave it in gear on a trailer (have moved one or two over the years) because it reduces the chance the bike has to move, that's all. Certainly wont change how it goes into gear.

Common new rider issue and some bikes are renown for it, my vmax can be a right pig if its hot. You just got to adjust on the fly to the bike. Part of the skill.

• Haha 1

Yeh clutch drag,   .  .  And who"said  it was bad to leave in Neutral ?,😄,

Name and shame,,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online