On switch-on, side lights come on instead of dipped main beam

deegee753
This post is 914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, Up until now, when I turned on the ignition switch of my FZS1000, before starting the engine, both the dipped main beams came on. But now both the side lights come on and the dipped or main beams can not be turned on via the head light switch. However the main beam comes on using the head light flasher switch. 

The lighting fuse is good.

Have I inadvertently somehow changed the option for side lights on power-up instead of dipped main, if there is such an option, but I see no reference to this in the manuals? But the main beam should come on via the head light switch.

Or perhaps a problem with the head light switch?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I dont think its possible to change the options as you describe without altering anything 

I believe that when you turn on the ignition, the sidelights and the nearside dipped beam will come on. The dipped beam will go off when you press the starter, then come on again when the bike is started, and stay on.

When you go to full beam, the dipped will go off and the offside full beam will stay on, the reverse takes place when you switch back to dipped beam.

Press the flasher switch and the dipped will go off and offside the main beam will come on.

I think.

But, bear in mind that many fazer riders alter both the wiring and the lamps (bulbs) to bring both lights on at the same time. Technically, its illegal, but gives better lighting for nightime riding. 

Id check the wiring out against standard before doing anything else