New member with a headache of an xs250

Paulashy
This post is 935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Currently in the later stages of my first build, turning an XS250 into a street tracker.

Hoping all the knowledge on here will help me get the thing running after scratching my head for the last month as to why it won’t start. 

Thanks 

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh " member Jimmy   will tell all "   he owned one in the 70"s,🙃  .

Drewpy  is the XS guru ,,:welcome:

• Haha 1

All you need is fresh petrol.

Pour it over the fkr, drop a match, walk away and do not look back

40yrs and the hurt is still there 🤒🤒

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jimmy said:

All you need is fresh petrol.

Pour it over the fkr, drop a match, walk away and do not look back

40yrs and the hurt is still there 🤒🤒

🤣
they are simple machine, i assume you have the soho version?

check your timing as you can be out 180'

have you touched the engine? did it run before?

carbs are a big issue as there are some tiny drillings in there and they need a proper ultrasonic clean. you can check by spraying easy start to see if you get a sniff from the engine

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drewpy said:

🤣

Is that the trendy plaid shirt wearing version? 😂😂

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, drewpy said:

🤣

check your timing as you can be out 180'

have you touched the engine? did it run before?

carbs are a big issue as there are some tiny drillings in there and they need a proper ultrasonic clean. you can check by spraying easy start to see if you get a sniff from the engine

Hi Drewpy,

Yes mine is the SOHC, It was running (on points) when I got it but can’t get it back running now since putting back in the frame after powdercoating. 

I have done the following:

Newtronics Electric ignition (condenser removed) 

Carb clean (ultrasonic) and rebuild with new jets, mixture screws and diaphragms. I have also cleaned again since trying to start. 

New battery

New coils.

New HT leads.

New plugs.

Valve clearances checked.

Timing check several times. (Followed the instructions but was back firing through the carb on one cylinder so timed 180 out to the instructions which stopped the carb bike fire and large backfires through the exhaust but still not starting.)

Good spark from both plugs.

Compression using thumb over hole seems ok but need to check properly with a guage.

Think that is it, quite a few changes which doesn’t help narrow things down.

I have tried easy start through the carbs and it changed nothing. Next plan was to remove carbs and try a small amount of fuel in the cylinders and see if that helps. My thought is if it goes like this then the carbs are the issues? 

it’s all new to me and a steep learning curve as Iv only ever messed about with cars and nothing this old so if any of the above is wrong or a bad idea then any advice would be appreciated. 

I really don’t want to give up on the last hurdle and take it to a workshop after doing all the other work myself. 

Thanks

When turning the engine over and no spark, is the plug wet. Is there fuel getting into the combustion chamber

I had one back in the day and it was always a bugger to start. but would do so eventually. I would regularly fit new points, plugs etc and it would be fine for a week or so then back to normal

If it was running on points then you changed it to electronic ignition, I would suggest its something you have done when fitting that. Try refitting the points and see what happens, then you know,

could also check your grounds as powder coating insulates. 

I'd get it back on points initially like Jimm sats and get it going then put the neutronics back in after

Thanks for the advice,

I was struggling to get the points set up as Iv never done it before which is why I went to the newtronics as it looked a little easier to setup. I’ll dig out the points and see about maybe putting that setup back on. 

I did have another look over the timing again and I’m pretty confident it is right and almost got it going. I put some fuel directly in the cylinders and with the throttle wide open it was very very close to starting but still no luck. This made me think that maybe the carbs arnt getting any fuel to to cylinders so will give them a full strip down clean and double check everything is set up correctly again. 

One thing I forgot to mention earlier that maybe quiet important is the guy I bought it off had it running on pod filters on the Y pipe from the carbs. I have put new standard jets in and wondered if this maybe also causing issues if he had jetted the carbs to suit the pod filters? Am I fighting a loosing battle trying to run pod filters on these carbs? 

thanks for the advice so far it’s got me closer than I have previously to getting the bike going. 

I can understand the reluctance to refit points (that's what I believe caused my issues) but fitting them to see it the bike runs again, then you have a datum.

Ref the carbs. 

When you're turning it over with no results, have you pulled the plugs to see if they're wet?

Have you tried with the petcock on prime, maybe they are blocked

Keep at it, but as you said lots of changes at one time, so you'll need to reverse your work on each stage until you get it running again

5 hours ago, Paulashy said:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier that maybe quiet important is the guy I bought it off had it running on pod filters on the Y pipe from the carbs. I have put new standard jets in and wondered if this maybe also causing issues if he had jetted the carbs to suit the pod filters? Am I fighting a loosing battle trying to run pod filters on these carbs? 

thanks for the advice so far it’s got me closer than I have previously to getting the bike going. 

pods on the (Y?, shouldn't that be H?) lineate the air flow for the CV carbs  

On 8/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Paulashy said:

Sorry yes that should be a H. 

So as long as I’m using the H pipe I should be ok? 

yep, i've done that on mine. think i changed the pilot size though. this was on a 400

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got chance to spend some time on the bike and managed to get it running numerous times for about 20-30s before cutting out. 

To do this I cleaned the carbs fully again and then tweaked the air/fuel mixture screw and the timing very slightly until it started going. 

When I put the H pipe and filters on it made it worse even when I tweaked the mixture screw. I’ll keep messing and see if I can get it to run for longer. It also wouldn’t Rev but I’m guessing that’s due to having no filters on? 

• drewpy locked this topic
This post is 935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.