Rd50mx clutch slip after rebuild, hmm

brummyMark
This post is 926 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Have a 1984 rd50mx that I have stripped and rebuilt etc, I didnt replace and clutch parts as they worked fine and the friction plates and springs appeared fine.

Engine runs great, but engage 1st gear and the rear wheel turns slowly and can be stopped easily by hand.

The only 2 things I have not done were:

1 didnt use a torque wrench to tighten the clutch springs - just used a good sense of feel.

2 I didnt use the oil stated in the manual as 10w/30 engine oil; I used some modern scooter transmission oil from Halfords that is 10w/40.

I have checked the oil level twice and it is spot on.

Surely the slight change in oil wouldnt cause such massive clutch slippage - ie non useable friction????

I guess I will have to drain and inspect for a stuff up I have made with reassembly of the clutch plates etc.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I always torque my clutch springs, did you measure and check the spring length before assembling the clutch?

I you don't have a torque wrench, invest in one. I cycle as well and had to buy another one 2nm to 12nm or I could crush the carbon frame.

have you adjusted the clutch properly, also could be binding. take off or loosen the clutch cable and with the engine off, engage gear and see if there is resistance when you turn the back wheel.

Its just a process of elimination

7 hours ago, brummyMark said:

Engine runs great, but engage 1st gear and the rear wheel turns slowly and can be stopped easily by hand.

Almost certainly NOT something you want to attempt, even if you're SURE that there's no real traction going on!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

Almost certainly NOT something you want to attempt, even if you're SURE that there's no real traction going on!!!

Yup, should have said that initially there was no drive with the rear wheel on the ground, and then with the rear wheel raised a foot on the tyre easily stopped it, I like my limbs attached too :)

my bike is designed to run on semi synthetic oil. i have been told that putting fully synth has been known to caus eclutch slip.

does your clutch have the small ball bearing at the end of the rod? have you forgot to put it back in?

i have come across numerous clutch slip problems caused by this. 

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get this fixed ?  some of these clutches, the pressure plate   has Arrows on it, or dots,  need to line up with clutch basket marks,, so it seats propper,  then tighten the spring bolts,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online