What have I done?! πŸ˜”

Homer007
This post is 998 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

G'day

Β 

While trying to help my mate with his bike while he is in hospital, I've made a bike mistake; I swapped over batteries and connected the new one up the wrong way!

Β 

I found the 30 amp fuse under the seat, but I've noticed that I can't hear the fuel pump anymore. Does it have it's own fuse? I've checked all the ones in the fuse box and they are all fine. I just don't know enough of these bikes to know where the location is of everything.Β 

Β 

If anyone here can help me out with what I need to do next, you would really be helping me big time! I haven't told my mate yet about what I've done coz I'm hoping I can get it fixed first.Β 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Make? Model? Pictures?
Does any of it (particularly the wiring loom) look modified?

Was the 30amp fuse under the seat fried? If connected the wrong way, it shouldn't have been...

The more information you give, the better your answers.

That may well have been a very expensive mistake, electrics are quite often polarity sensitive.Β 

I made the same mistake on our caravan and had to replace the tv and the electrical circuit board in the fridge. Five hundred quidsworth for the sake of not checking.

• Haha 1

And this is why I usually install a fuse on the negative side too...
But until we know what bike and model it is, we can't begin to figure out what it's done. If it was my Thunderace, it would just be a case of tracing the wiring and replacing whatever blew first. If it was my V-Strom, god knows what would have blown!

We'll just have to wait and see if he ever comes back again! lol

But I reckon this is going to be a 'shop job'...

Fuses dont save this kind of cock up, quarter of an amp will kill an ecu if its in the wrong place, could have fried every battery fed electronic device on the bike.Β 

Putting a fuse in the neutral side won't technically protect against reversed polarity, but as the first item starts to cook, it will pop and protect everything else.

Γ—
Γ—