Kindness of strangers.

slice
This post is 962 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So short story, I was in a local village and they had a set of temp traffic lights set up which meant that there was quite a queue of cars waiting to move on, I love filtering to be honest, and so I wandered down the outside of these cars to get to the front, just my luck but someone was coming the other way and I dived into a gap between a car and a huge lorry, little did I know that the road dipped away to my left and was really steep suffice to say that when I tried to put my left foot down to balance the bike there was no road under my foot! the bike just tipped over like a felled tree with me going with it and then to add insult to injury my left foot got trapped by the rear footrest, so there I am laying in the road and I really can't move cos of the weight of the thing. I kid you not I felt like a right twat just laying there and remember thinking "fuck that hurts!" When out of nowhere around a dozen folks appeared as if by magic and helped me not only get the bike off my foot but then helped get it upright. Unfortunately thats not the worst part, I climed back onboard and got ready to move off and I had not realised how bad my foot had been squashed, so when I tried to take the weight on my left foot to move off it just would not take the weight so there I am AGAIN laying in the road, Oh FFS! this is getting embarasing so once again I had folks run out and lift it again, needless to say this time I took my time to get sorted out before I tried again to go home but this is a THANK YOU to all those folks and a reminder that although we might at times hate car drivers and pedestrians most people are kind and caring if you make a complete hash of things and end up laying in the road. I got away quite lightly tho, just the biggest bruise on my left foot and a reminder every time I walk that no matter how long you have been riding and waving at car drivers to get out ot the way that they really come through when you need help. And yes I'm and idiot!

Oh Boy Ugh GIF by Team Penske

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A cautionary tale. Thanks for sharing

I remember the first time I was out with my boy and as we crossed the Erskine Bridge we hit the traffic jam. I pulled over and asked if he had ever filtered before "no" was his reply

"Ok, here are my rules, follow them if you want" says I

Don't just go for a gap because I got through it

Don't trust any gap will remain there

Always look ahead

Always plan ahead

Be patient and do not get agitated

Enjoy the experience

We had to filter from Erskine Bride to Balloch, so about 10 miles, and once through and a few miles behind us we stopped for a cuppa....He was still buzzing and was chirping away like a canary

Yours is a wee reminder that we always need to be cautious and that it is not always the fault of others, or indeed anyones fault

Oh and how is the foot?

1 hour ago, jimmy said:

Oh and how is the foot?

Screw the foot, it will heal! How's the bike??? :D

I went to go get a test ride of a Royal Enfield.

The little car park outside of it was all full of potholes...

While turning round at about 3mph I bumped a pothole and down I went with the Thunderace on top of me right in front of the plate windows of the shop. I was just laid in the street on my back laughing.

I still went in to look at the Royal Enfields, but I didn't ask for a test ride... :P

1 hour ago, Snakebite68 said:

Screw the foot, it will heal!  :D

Have you seen his age 🤣🤣 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jimmy said:

Have you seen his age 🤣🤣 

16 years older than me, still no news on the health of the bike though!!! :D

• Haha 1

Ok the foot aches! but other than a mighty bruise it's fine. The bike however is not, I had just spent quite a time on fitting 2 new mirrors with built in LEDs and was quite proud of the fact that they looked cool with having to make up 2 small looms to connect them to the bike so I could use the existing wiring with out cutting the wires on the bike, had been on the bike for about 3 days and the fall snapped the left hand one off like a carrot! So today I fitted the old ones back on and it's back to standard. Some scrapes to the exhaust mount and the left engine casing plus the fairing protector was gouged up a bit.  All in all I got away light.

• Sad 1

Was  it the Tank   that toppled "   thay"l   be  a hole in the road  now,,🙃

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, slice said:

Ok the foot aches! but other than a mighty bruise it's fine. The bike however is not, I had just spent quite a time on fitting 2 new mirrors with built in LEDs and was quite proud of the fact that they looked cool with having to make up 2 small looms to connect them to the bike so I could use the existing wiring with out cutting the wires on the bike, had been on the bike for about 3 days and the fall snapped the left hand one off like a carrot! So today I fitted the old ones back on and it's back to standard. Some scrapes to the exhaust mount and the left engine casing plus the fairing protector was gouged up a bit.  All in all I got away light.

NOOOOOOOO! lol
At least when you buy new mirrors, you've already got the custom looms! :D

19 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Was  it the Tank   that toppled "   thay"l   be  a hole in the road  now,,🙃

Yeah it was the TANK and yes it went down with a wallop, no hole in the road as it was cushioned with my foot!!! 💩

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slice said:

Yeah it was the TANK and yes it went down with a wallop, no hole in the road as it was cushioned with my foot!!! 💩

Is this the hole it left,,Why the Lockerbie Bombing Still Echoes Three Decades Later - WSJ

• Haha 2

poor slice, a timely reminder not to be complacent.
Still not done much riding yet, so I'm pretty rusty and will take is easy for a few days 

The actions that caused the damage in that picture changed the world 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Slice, as per your original post, believe me and as you and everybody on here knows there is a lot of nice people about.
I have been helped by total strangers and myself have helped total strangers. I've even knelt down on the pavement and helped an injured dog and carried to it to a vet in a strange town whilst visiting in an RN vessel.
It's always nice to know that if something happens there's always someone that will stop and help.

I could bore everyone about when coming back from a football match with my son on the back who decided to feint but won't. 

Mike.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mike1949 said:

I could bore everyone about when coming back from a football match with my son on the back who decided to feint but won't. 

Mike.

Watching Chippenham  could have that effect,😴,,,,🙃

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:44 AM, blackhat250 said:

Watching Chippenham  could have that effect,😴,,,,🙃

How right you are Blackie. Coming back from a Chippenham away game on the M5 he fell asleep on the back. What more can I say?
Mike.

• Haha 1

Wierdly, it wouldn't be the first time I've had a passenger fall asleep against my back!
The bonus with sports bikes is that unless they're restless sleepers, they just kinda stay there, against your back! lol

22 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

Wierdly, it wouldn't be the first time I've had a passenger fall asleep against my back!
The bonus with sports bikes is that unless they're restless sleepers, they just kinda stay there, against your back! lol

Yeah SB, Since telling people about my son falling asleep on the back of the bike a lot of bikers have stated that it is a common occurrence. One lady friend of mine even told me that when she and her partner went on a trip she nearly always fell asleep on the back until they got to their destination.

Mike.

My wife would usually sort of nod off if we had a long motorway journey. I would feel her loosening the zips on my pockets, then her hands sliding in the pockets (I was a bit slimmer then, so a bit more room in my jacket 🤣) soon after I would feel her weight against my back.

Nowadays she is a very wary passenger who tries to "lean" the other way, or nudges me when she thinks I'm moving too fast. So much so I have told her that her days on the bike are over 😧

8 hours ago, jimmy said:

Nowadays she is a very wary passenger who tries to "lean" the other way, or nudges me when she thinks I'm moving too fast. So much so I have told her that her days on the bike are over 😧

Sad times... :(