XJ6 N 2009

donchadh
This post is 1012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Just joined!

Anyway my bike is a XJ6N and been in the gararge for a couple years. Main issue is the chain as it had snapped. However I put in a new battery and some petrol and it started straight away, so quite chuffed.

Im looking for some advice. To replace the drive chain, I will need to take the swing arm off, meaning it will be challenge to keep the bike raised so I can do the sprockets/chain. Does anyone know of any good means to lift the bike with the swing arm off? Ive had a look and got some ideas but maybe someone here will crack it :-D There seems to be little area at the bottom of the bike to add things like an axel stand and so on. But will await any feedbcak so thanks in advance :-)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm in the same boat at the moment, except with a Thunderace, so probably somewhat heavier than yours.

Suggestions so far are:

1/ Suspend it.

2/ Turn your footpegs upside down and use axel stands under them.

I'm currently considering both options (together)...

I don't see why you'd need to remove the swingarm to replace the chain 🤔

7 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

I don't see why you'd need to remove the swingarm to replace the chain 🤔

probably endless, like I have on mine

1 hour ago, drewpy said:

Same with mine, although that's not why I want to take my swingarm off...

2 hours ago, drewpy said:

So you haven't even got a rivet link?

3 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

The problem with 'endless' chains is that there's MANY ways you can 'do it wrong' or badly.
Best to get someone else to do it (someone you can sue) lol

22 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

I'm in the same boat at the moment, except with a Thunderace, so probably somewhat heavier than yours.

Suggestions so far are:

1/ Suspend it.

2/ Turn your footpegs upside down and use axel stands under them.

I'm currently considering both options (together)...

i put a piece of half inch metal rod under the bottom rear of the engine on my Ace then lowered it onto axle stands.

1 hour ago, Snakebite68 said:

The problem with 'endless' chains is that there's MANY ways you can 'do it wrong' or badly.
Best to get someone else to do it (someone you can sue) lol

Meh I've done several now without any issues. As long as you have a decent riveter it shouldn't be a problem. Steer clear of the chinesium ebay specials and you'll be fine.

16 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

No, its endless from the factory 

3 hours ago, drewpy said:

No, its endless from the factory 

That's a new one on me. I'd just cut the old one off with a grinder and fit new with a rivet link 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

16 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

That's a new one on me. I'd just cut the old one off with a grinder and fit new with a rivet link

That's the most sensible answer I've seen for a long time, Excellent.👍. I like the way you think!

Although in his case, he mentioned it's already snapped. So as Finnerz says:-  just buy one with a rivet link.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NE0 said:

That's the most sensible answer I've seen for a long time, Excellent.👍. I like the way you think!

Although in his case, he mentioned it's already snapped. So as Finnerz says:-  just buy one with a rivet link.

If in doubt get the grinder out 😬😬

Hi I have a Thunderace and use an Abba stand.  They do a set of do-hickeys that allow you to lift the bike and remove the swing arm.  A lot safer than axle stands but - they aren't cheap.  I replaced my chain no problem with a splitter (obviously not needed as the chain is toast) and riveter.  Worked just fine but as someone else mentioned - don't buy a cheap splitter & riveter as they won't work well enough.

2 hours ago, Mr. B said:

Hi I have a Thunderace and use an Abba stand.  They do a set of do-hickeys that allow you to lift the bike and remove the swing arm.

I've just had a look at that Abba Stand, it looks pretty good (although I was horrified when the demonstrator bloke climbed up on the hayabusa he'd just lifted, sat on it, then climbed off the other side. It's obviously safe, but doesn't look it! lol
But since it uses the swingarm pivot, I don't see how you can take the swingarm off using it..?

Aha - the bit you didn't read I mentioned about different do-hickeys that mount elsewhere (footrest hangers) so you can remove the swing arm.  Here's the link https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=swing-arm-removal-kit&pid=21

• NOTE: The swing arm removal kit should be used for removing the swing arm only and is not intended for normal daily use. The kit should ONLY be used with the Superbike Stand (not Front Lift Arm) and the Sky Lift in the stoppie position (with the front wheel on the ground).

Hmmm... Sounds even more dubious! lol 2 8mm bolts holding up my Thunderace!!!
I did see that bit, but couldn't find it on the website.

Time to save up I suppose lol.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online