YZF600 Thundercat Intermittent Starting

Wrighty
This post is 1022 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. My 2005 Thundercat has developed this annoying intermittent issue. When you turn the ignition on, all the usual lights come on (headlights, neutral) but when you press the starter button it will either fire up as normal or nothing happens at all. You can be stood there for a fair while pressing the starter until eventually it will fire up. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like you have a dodgy starter switch, give it a shot of "switch cleaner" and a squirt of WD40 after, if that's the problem then that should sort it out. These switches can fail tho and sometimes they wear at the contact point and you need a new one. It is after all 15 years old so it's not like it owes you anything!

It could also be the same problem but with the main kill switch...

On 6/9/2021 at 9:56 AM, slice said:

Sounds like you have a dodgy starter switch, give it a shot of "switch cleaner" and a squirt of WD40 after, if that's the problem then that should sort it out. These switches can fail tho and sometimes they wear at the contact point and you need a new one. It is after all 15 years old so it's not like it owes you anything!

Squirt of some 'switch cleaner' did the trick I think, starts everytime. I'll give it a proper run at the weekend and see what happens. Cheers......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online