Yamaha G6/G6SB/G7 mystery bearing!

Foose
This post is 1026 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone,

I just put a new kick starter shaft in my G7 (same as the G6 and G6SB....I have no idea which one i have, but they're all the same.) as I'm reassembling the bike there in my driveway, I look down in horror, seeing a lone ball bearing laying there on the asphalt, and I have no idea where it could have come from! 

in the process of the repair, the motor stayed in frame, and I only had to remove the right crankcase cover. I've poured through my manual and every exploded parts diagram that bike bandit has to offer, and I've only found one ball bearing that is loose and on its own, and its in the oil pump....I knew about that one, and its safe and accounted for.

now for the killer....the bearing measures an even .250".....so I'm doubting they used a standard ball bearing in a metric bike. I mean, a .250 bearing wont even go into a 6 mil hole, so where would they have used it? 

unless some genius out there knows where they might have stuck this mystery bearing, I am going to operate on the assumption that it just sort of got there from my bag of tools, or some other random act of god, just messing with me. 

but PLEASE if someone out there has any notion, please let me know. I realize I'm asking about a relatively rare model that was only released in the USA for 3 years around the end of the 60's, but I can't be the only one out there to have done this work before, so I'm hoping for a miracle and someone gets back to me.

thanks in advance for any help you can give, it is greatly appreciated. 

cheers,

Brian Foose

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry can't help other than ask if any of your pals were present when you were working on the bike.

Back in the day that was one of our gags, to leave a random fastener, or ball bearing lying around.

Sorry that's no help but thanks for dredging up some memories

yeah, one dude was helping, but hes not evil like that. upon further reassembly, i noticed my clutch adjustment was suddenly WAAAYYY slack.....but the clutch unit stayed together the whole time, so i still dont understand how it could have lost a mystery bearing. basically, im calling one of my olde tyme-y buddies, and then the whole $#@%% thing is coming apart again today. F me, ill probably find a half inch bearing this time. probably roll out of the carb or something. awesome.

definitely a clutch pusher ball. I smashed grease around it and stuck it back into the hole where it contacts the throw bearing pushrod. dummy. i should have seen that one coming. but she runs like a champ mostly now. especially after i removed the old cigarette butts and woolen bits of rats nest out of the air box. might have to enrichen things a little now. gonna ride it for a day and decide later. 

• Like 2

You should enrichen it with a new air filter by the sound of it!!! lol

its on its way! along with a headlight, speedo cable, and hopefully thats it for a while. ive been beating the crap out of the local asphalt anyway, the bike runs like a fricken swiss watch. im going down to the local bar today around 2 or 3 for "bike night"....i generally win, and generally with a different vintage honda, suzuki, or yamaha every time. the harley guys effing hate me. its pretty much the pride of my life. 

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online