aftermarket silencers

jcr
This post is 1011 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

what are peoples opinions, do they offer any improvements other than sound or do they only benefit from tuning?

any particular brand suit the ace? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The quallity  is good  on new pipes ..i"v  only ever bought  Dormai  repro  pipes [  japan]     i like stock,,  as  expassion [ 2t]  or  4 stroke  after market [ arrow etc,,   alter the fueling,,

• Like 1

the Blue flame cans caught my eye too.

i remember spending a few weeks wages on a Allspeed exhaust for my little 2 stroke back in the day. looked nice but i dont think it made the bike any faster... nor did ramming a bar down the center of the original pipe.:D  

• Haha 1

Look at Armours. I've just bought a complete system from them and delighted with the quality and price 

3 hours ago, jimmy said:

Look at Armours. I've just bought a complete system from them and delighted with the quality and price 

Armour appear to be more about classic bikes rather than performance bikes.
But they do look nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

Armour appear to be more about classic bikes rather than performance bikes.
But they do look nice.

Haha, I was drunk 🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can answer the Thunderace Black Widow question - work perfectly on mine.  Remove fairing lower panels, disconnect the Exup cables, pop the new exhaust headers on, start bike, check for blowing, pop fairing back and ride bike.  Perfect.

When I say pop the exhaust headers on it is a bit of a struggle to line them all up correctly.  At the time it seemed like trying to puzzle out a Rubik's cube fitting them together as you need to get them at just the right angle but a little persistence and brute force always win 🙂

Re expansion pipes I had Allspeed fitted to my GT500 back in the 70s.  Not sure about any performance increase at all.  I've Higgspeed pipes on my current GT500 but can't tell you about relative performance as it never ran with the standard pipes as they were so corroded.  It has certainly lost some low down torque but makes up for it in noise - Got to love a 2 stroke on spannies going through the gears.  This is normally the way with aftermarket pipes - more noise and dependant on the R&D of the company supplying the pipes.  The biggest gain is probably the weight reduction as stock pipes are generally heavier than aftermarkets.

I'll keep my eyes open for you jcr as it'd be nice to see another Ace in Hampshire - a dying breed sadly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. B said:

I'll keep my eyes open for you jcr as it'd be nice to see another Ace in Hampshire - a dying breed sadly.

i dont think ive seen another ACE on the road. everyone seems to have gone for the R1 instead.

There are a couple of Aces that come to Squires Café occasionally, but I've never actually seen another one on the road in passing since I got mine (2.5 years ago)...

I did see one fleetingly a few months ago as I was driving a van around SE London also there was a Thundercat that lived around the corner from me in Chatham.  Since we moved to Basingstoke I was sure I saw a blue one going around the ring road but as I was going the other way in a car it was kinda hard to tell.  There are a few left.

Oh, I keep seeing Thundercats around, there's definitely several within easy range of Squires.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online