Helicoil size for MT09 cush drive?

Alex
This post is 1024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

Well it obviously had to happen, tightening down the last nut the stud started turning in the alloy cush drive.

It felt wrong tightening to the specified torque settings, but I stupidly continued.

Anyone know what helicoils I need to refit a stud?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Alex,

The good news is all our jap bikes are metric!

I've used helicoils on both my Honda and Yamaha, in my cases the studs were M6 and an M8 so i just bought the M6 and M8 ones and they fitted fine.

There is a useful chart here:-

https://www.thorintl.com/Drill-Sizes-HeliCoils-Metric.shtml

I had to drill the worn out thread with the correct drill, and rethread the hole (all supplied in the kit) and the tool came with it to insert them, but technically its just a bit of coiled wire that goes in tight within the newly threaded hole  and the stud just screws into the thread made by the coil of wire.

However a threaded insert sleeve is different to a helicoil and are designed for more load bearing. These are double threaded metal sleeves These require the hole to be drilled to a bigger size and retapped as the threaded insert is made from thicker metal.

If it's a cush drive, I'm wondering whether a threaded insert may be more substantial and therefore more suitable.?

Either way you will need the thread pitch and diameter of the exitsing stud.

Edited by NE0
  • Like 1

• Admin

I'm not sure if i'd be able to fit a theaded insert, I don't have a pillar drill and not confident I could drill accurately enough by hand.

Looks like I'll be off to the shop with one of the nuts and see what it fits on :)

How you getting on with the Helicoil quest Alex?

Based on the assumption that its a standard metric thread then the socket size should give you an idea of the stud.

the general rule for standard sockets for metric threads are as follows:
m5 nut/bolt/screw = 8mm socket
m6 = 10mm socket
m8 = 13mm socket
m10 = 17mm socket
m12 = 19mm socket

I've done a bit of googling and found the stud on the parts diagram for the MT-09 cush drive of the rear wheel.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2016-mt09-tracer-abs-motorcycles/rear-wheel

(regardeless of year they all seem to share the same nuts and studs)

The stud (15) is part number  90116-10048-00 and the nut (16) is part number  95602-10200-00

Putting those in Google I managed to find that the nut takes a 17mm socket therefore its likely its an M10 stud.

I then stumbled across the break down of the Yamaha part numbers

90116 = are indeed studs and all self lock nuts start = 95602

the next two numbers are the M size= 10.

That confirms that then!

Unfortunately none of the rest of the code indicates the thread pitch!

However, i did manage to find a close up photo of the stud part number : https://www.bts24.co.uk/en/transmission/chaindrive/rearsprocket/mountingbolt/screwsprocketoriginalsparepart901161004800.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Although the photo could be a generic photo I found one for sale on ebay that someone was selling showing the actual packet and the stud with it and this shows that it has the same thread on both ends.

The reason I mention this is studs that fit exhausts, which are also double ended, have a much coarser thread for the stud part that screws into the engine block. However, in this case the ebay photo confirms it is the same thread on both ends of the stud.

Using the first chart shows M10 being available in three pitches, 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5mm, unfortunatley I couldn't find any confirmation of the pitch size for the nut or stud other than the standard metric thread for an M10 appears to be 1.0mm. The other two are finer and I don't think you can decipher which it is just by the photo, unless someone knows any different.

Hope this helps you Alex.

NE0

Edited by NE0
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, NE0 said:

How you getting on with the Helicoil quest Alex?

Based on the assumption that its a standard metric thread then the socket size should give you an idea of the stud.

the general rule for standard sockets for metric threads are as follows:
m5 nut/bolt/screw = 8mm socket
m6 = 10mm socket
m8 = 13mm socket
m10 = 17mm socket
m12 = 19mm socket

I've done a bit of googling and found the stud on the parts diagram for the MT-09 cush drive of the rear wheel.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/yamaha-parts/2016-mt09-tracer-abs-motorcycles/rear-wheel

(regardeless of year they all seem to share the same nuts and studs)

The stud (15) is part number  90116-10048-00 and the nut (16) is part number  95602-10200-00

Putting those in Google I managed to find that the nut takes a 17mm socket therefore its likely its an M10 stud.

I then stumbled across the break down of the Yamaha part numbers

90116 = are indeed studs and all self lock nuts start = 95602

the next two numbers are the M size= 10.

That confirms that then!

Unfortunately none of the rest of the code indicates the thread pitch!

However, i did manage to find a close up photo of the stud part number : https://www.bts24.co.uk/en/transmission/chaindrive/rearsprocket/mountingbolt/screwsprocketoriginalsparepart901161004800.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Although the photo could be a generic photo I found one for sale on ebay that someone was selling showing the actual packet and the stud with it and this shows that it has the same thread on both ends.

The reason I mention this is studs that fit exhausts, which are also double ended, have a much coarser thread for the stud part that screws into the engine block. However, in this case the ebay photo confirms it is the same thread on both ends of the stud.

Using the first chart shows M10 being available in three pitches, 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5mm, unfortunatley I couldn't find any confirmation of the pitch size for the nut or stud other than the standard metric thread for an M10 appears to be 1.0mm. The other two are finer and I don't think you can decipher which it is just by the photo, unless someone knows any different.

Hope this helps you Alex.

NE0

Champion reply bud. Great effort 

• Thanks 1

Standard for m10 is 1.5mm pitch. Looking at that photo I'd say the stud is finer than that. 

I've just had a look on pro-bolts website. They sell replacement sprocket nuts for the MT09 listed as 1.25mm pitch which is finer than standard.

https://www.pro-bolt.com/stainless-steel-sprocket-nut-m10x1-25mm-pack-x6-ss6spn10/

All this guess work aside you could just buy a thread gauge and measure one of the nuts or studs with it. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071H8GP18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4SSRJHRGVNAB76VQ0PHJ

9 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

All this guess work aside you could just buy a thread gauge and measure one of the nuts or studs with it.

You're not wrong. Although Alex will have to go to the Australian version of Amazon and Pro-bolt  given that's where he lives.😀

1 hour ago, NE0 said:

You're not wrong. Although Alex will have to go to the Australian version of Amazon and Pro-bolt  given that's where he lives.😀

I think he'll just have to do his measurements standing on his head. Should be fine then 🙃

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

That's some investigative work @neo thank you very much. 

I still haven't got around to fixing it, it's still running fine with a twisting stud...

I'll have to take the nut off and take it down to a shop and see what matches.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online