Weird cornering

madshep
This post is 6475 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Out on my Cat last night ( lovely sunny evening)..I've had it for 2 months now and am gradually feeling more confident.

Anyway going quite fast round twisty country roads here in North Devon, I found that a couple of times when going too fast into a corner ( judged it wrong --let's be honest ) trying to lean over more and grabbing a large handful of front brake, the bike suddenly tried to go straight on, and tried to come upright.

I was really lucky on a left hand hairpin (VERY tight), when I realised I was too hot into it, braked hard, and the bike stopped turning and carried straight on over to the outside lane....if anything was coming the other way I'd be "daid as a clat of old earth" by now as we say down here!!!

On the journey home I tried braking really hard when going in a straight line and everything was fine I.e. stopped cleanly in a good straight line...but when I tried it when cornering ( either left or right) the same weird feeling cut in again....a bit un-nerving!!!!

Any clues anyone??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't brake when cornering. And don't lean either.

Do your braking before you enter the corner, then steer! The angle of lean is the consequence of your steering inputs.....so don't think "lean"....think "steer".

Don't brake when cornering. And don't lean either.

Do your braking before you enter the corner, then steer! The angle of lean is the consequence of your steering inputs.....so don't think "lean"....think "steer".

Think "countersteer"..... :unsure:

take it easy, madshep,iv only got a 125sr....and yes sometimes it is hard to judge a bend,...try and be a bit slower when theres a bend ahead,you,ve had your bike a little while,,,enjoy your biking ;) take your time in bonding with your bike,....

As vmax girl says, slow down when you have a bend ahead of you, then ride through the bend. The more you do this the greater experience you will gain and bends will become a lot less scary for you as long as you don't go steaming in trying to grab lots of brake at the last moment. The reason your bike wanted to go straight on instead of turning is because you were braking hard. Physics dictates that the inertia and gyroscpopic effect of the rotating wheels are thrown to pot by reduceing the speed of the rotation by braking, which in turn makes the bike want to stand up and go straight on instead of following the path you want to go round the corner. As Pete says, do your braking before you reach the corner and then steer the bike round by using countersteer as Boozehound says.

If you are not familiar with countersteering then don't worry, it is simple if a bit weird. To try it, go for a ride on a quiet piece of road (or car park). Ride in a straight line and at a modest speed (not 100mph+!) gently push the left hand handlebar away from you with very light pressure. Logic says the bike will turn right because you are turning the forks to the right by pushing from the left (not pulling on the right). Be ready for the bike to react as it trys to turn the opposite way from what you expect, and vice versa for the opposite hand pushing too. That is countersteering and what you should be doing to ride your bike through corners when you arrive at them with all excess speed gone by braking in good time. Go and try it out, and then practice as much as you can at sensible speeds. Ride steadily on the roads and do not try to become an ace rider overnight, you will get a lot more fun that way.

Andy

Think "countersteer"..... :unsure:

This phrase counter steering is a big scam to make money out of books/vids/courses etc.

Why? Because we always did it.....it's just that we didn't know we were doing it. Then somebody comes along, analyses everything to the nth degree, and repackages it as some sort of innovation.

All it's now achieved is adding complication to what we did naturally....because instead of just steering, we're thinking about steering.

This guy didn't analyse physics...and the phrase counter steering hadn't been invented then. Didn't stop him going round corners though.

hailwood.jpg

As vmax girl says, slow down when you have a bend ahead of you, then ride through the bend. The more you do this the greater experience you will gain and bends will become a lot less scary for you as long as you don't go steaming in trying to grab lots of brake at the last moment. The reason your bike wanted to go straight on instead of turning is because you were braking hard. Physics dictates that the inertia and gyroscpopic effect of the rotating wheels are thrown to pot by reduceing the speed of the rotation by braking, which in turn makes the bike want to stand up and go straight on instead of following the path you want to go round the corner. As Pete says, do your braking before you reach the corner and then steer the bike round by using countersteer as Boozehound says.

If you are not familiar with countersteering then don't worry, it is simple if a bit weird. To try it, go for a ride on a quiet piece of road (or car park). Ride in a straight line and at a modest speed (not 100mph+!) gently push the left hand handlebar away from you with very light pressure. Logic says the bike will turn right because you are turning the forks to the right by pushing from the left (not pulling on the right). Be ready for the bike to react as it trys to turn the opposite way from what you expect, and vice versa for the opposite hand pushing too. That is countersteering and what you should be doing to ride your bike through corners when you arrive at them with all excess speed gone by braking in good time. Go and try it out, and then practice as much as you can at sensible speeds. Ride steadily on the roads and do not try to become an ace rider overnight, you will get a lot more fun that way.

Andy

Andy

Andy

Andy

Blimey vmax girl, did you like what I wrote that much? :) To be quoted four times is quite impressive ;)

Pete, I agree wholeheartedly with you but once a phrase starts getting bandied around without clarification people are apt to find it confusing which is why I tried to explain what it is about. As you say, it is what we all do instinctively anyway, but having a clearer understanding of the process can't harm, can it? I was surprised at how illustrating doing what I suggested is when I tried it.

Like you also say, that bloke in your picture seemed to do OK, didn't he! :D

Cheers,

Andy

opps,i thought i would make your day Andy,i didnt mean to edit your comment your 4 times...but there you go,...and i have learned a little bit to ..i know now what countersteer mean,s... ;) ....oh and by the way...a very nice pic of man and his machine :P:P

This guy didn't analyse physics...and the phrase counter steering hadn't been invented then. Didn't stop him going round corners though.

hailwood.jpg

Yep......he went well around corners.......back before too many racers used their knee's for feelers :unsure:

Just have a look @ those beveled boot edges!......I recall reading an Article about Mike The Bike once....

There was more than a few occassions where there was blood being emitted from those Boots! :blink:

Mike the Bike came to me for riding advice.....he'd never have made it without me.

Yeah......He wanted to be sure on How NOT to ride a bike! :rolleyes:

Yer Buy Deid as a clat you will be if ee goes on riding that thing like that, take it easy and learn to do it vitty like, us all makes mistakes, my worst one wus spreading mud all round a corner. one aftyernoon and forgetting about it on the way back from the pub, enede up on me ass sliding up the road behind the fizzy, still no permanent damage done, picked it up and rode it home. Threw jeans in washing machine, drashed the bike back straigh the next morning and rode it back to work. Oh that Mike the bike he knowed a bit about cornering shame ee baint yer to pass it on now though.

merv

Nah Andy, Washed me Entrecote down with a bottle of Red wine last night though,

I will agree a good haggis is better than faggot, I do miss going to Hungry Macs in Oban and getting a haggis supper, will have to get back there one day, though most likely too a scotsman haggis in batter with chips is sacrilege, My mate asked for steak pie and chips in there one night, we were amazed when Mac toook the pie from it,s wrapping and lobbed it into the deep fat fryer

Merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online