YR5 running problem

PaulD13
This post is 1084 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys new to the forum with a very stubborn YR5. I've totally rebuilt the motor after buying the bike as a non runner. Rebore pistons crank all the ignition and charging system a new Motobatt battery plus the carbs ultrasonic cleaned and checked. The problem is when I go out for a run the bike starts and ticks over fine but two miles of so into the run the bike either packs in altogether or drops onto one cylinder first and then stops and won't restart. Checking straight away the bike has a good spark on both sides and the plugs are wet but won't start? I push the bike home and it still won't start but if I leave it overnight it starts and runs perfect until I go for a run and the whole saga starts again. Oh plus even running with the filler cap removed makes no difference.

Any suggestions welcome before I give it a Viking funeral 

• Haha 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My first thought would be heat ceasing...

Does it actually turn over?

If not, check to see whether it starts as soon as it has gone cold (rather than overnight).

4 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

My first thought would be heat ceasing...

Does it actually turn over?

If not, check to see whether it starts as soon as it has gone cold (rather than overnight).

Not seized as I can kick it over easily but it refuses to start. The carbs are mikuni vm28sc with the floats separate from the float valve plate thing. Do I measure the height from the plate as I can't see any other way of doing it?

Carbs are magic items beyond the ken of myself...

But I'm sure there's plenty of others in here that know about them lol :D

Well " i think its a poor battery,  hence starts when left,  is it charging,  ie  14.2 volts etc,  [ running],  it would do this   run fine for  few miles, then  fizzle out, 

3 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Well " i think its a poor battery,  hence starts when left,  is it charging,  ie  14.2 volts etc,  [ running],  it would do this   run fine for  few miles, then  fizzle out, 

Even if the battery died, wouldn't it continue to run on the alternator?

No  " not Rd"s   there not magneto ignition,  [ small Dt"s  etc are ]  they need good battery,  or the Vape  iggy system , this will run  without ,