Newbie looking for help

Geiger
This post is 1078 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I have owned several Yams over too many decades I now have another one. RT1 B to be precise, like a forerunner of the DT. Problem is locating a tacho cable in the UK. I know there will be one from a different model. it's just finding which one. So here is my request. If anyone can spend a few minutes measuring their tacho cable and then let me know the length and their bike model I can probably get a cable to do the job. The length I am looking for is 865mm, or within a few centimetres, with 11mm and 15mm screw cap fittings respectively. Any help would be really appreciated. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mmmm Geiger, First of all welcome to the forum but I think your best bet is to go into this forum and this particular section and introduce yourself first, then go into the relevant section and then relay your problem/question. The reason I suggest this is that we get a lot of "one hit wonders" on here that get their answer and never hear from them again.

Mike. 

hi Geiger,

DT175MX is 77cm, however, a useful site is Wemoto.

just put in "yamaha Tacho cable" in the search field and a lot of the cables have lengths published.

i.e:

Tacho Cable Yamaha DT 250MX 1977-1982

Outer 800 mm
Inner 825 mm
Inner thread diameter 11mm
Outer thread diameter 16mm

if you leave out "Yamaha" then it lists some 120 cables for different makes.

Presumably the part number is B38-2240 as I see there is one on ebay in USA at present.

Edited by NE0

Welcome",, the MX models have longer forks,,  twinshock are shorter ,,the  later DT models,= bottom fittings are held in with a circlip not screwed tho ,

With the kind assistance from Neo I did contact Wemoto and found a suitable tacho cable which is only 25mm shorter than standard, so I am pretty sure it will fit ok. I will post when fitted. Only down side is that it is black and not gray, but you can't have everything on a bike from the 70s.

• Like 1

OK, just a quick update. I did indeed get a cable from Wemoto, and it is now fitted!!! I chose the Yamaha RD multi fit as it has a gently curved fitment at the instrument end. Part no.AC 4245. The other option was for a DT 125 RD 350. Part no. AC 3665. This one has a straight fitting but does have a heat shield spring. I happened to have some springs from a XS 650 restoration I did a few years back, and fitted one to the cable i bought. Many thanks to everyone who helped.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online