Stainless Steel or Titanium bolts/studs?

This post is 726 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, here's the main question:

Is it worth swapping standard steel bolts/studs for Stainless or even Titanium?
Whilst almost everyone loves shiny bolts in their engine, right now I'm particularly thinking about my exhaust studs.

I'd like to swap my exhaust and like most peoples (I suspect) studs, mine are pretty manky. In order of simplicity/cheapness, the options as I see it are:

1/ Just put the new exhaust on and change the nuts.

2/ Swap out the studs and nuts for new OEM ones.

3/ Swap out the studs and nuts for Stainless Steel or Titanium.

I'm not bothered by the cost of Stainless Steel or Titanium, but there's no way I'm going to even attempt to remove rusted steel studs from a cast aluminium casing, therefor I'd get a shop to do it. So either option 2 or 3 will involve extra hassle (still not worried by the extra cost, it's all about making it easier for me).

But, in thinking about this a bit deeper, are there any hidden issues involved in replacing stock steel studs/bolts that go into cast aluminium?
For example: Heat expansion rates? Or chemical metal reaction between Alu and SS or Ti?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you had them off?,  seen lots of exhaust studs shear,,and turn into a big job, 

1 hour ago, Snakebite68 said:

... but there's no way I'm going to even attempt to remove rusted steel studs from a cast aluminium casing, therefor I'd get a shop to do it. ...

Nope, and not gonna try! :D

I've used stainless studs before. they can vibrate out being so hard but a dollop of stud locker sorts it out.

I'm a fan of brass nuts though, no reaction to steel and stay on too

I use stainless (a2 as a minimum) studs with brass dome nuts now.

I don't see a lot of Brass studs/bolts being advertised.
And they're pretty heavy...
But you're right about the lack of reaction with steel, but I'm not so sure about it being reactionless with Aluminium.

You don't normally see brass studs or bolts as brass doesn't have a high tensile strength and subsequently its threads strip easily. It's quite a soft alloy.

Having said that it's easy to clean the threads of a steel stud if a brass nut has been used and it's been overtightened. You just pick out the strands of brass stuck between the theads.

I don't think anyone suggested brass studs?

Just brass nuts, which won't be in contact with any aluminium. And as previously stated, are a lot easier to remove due to them being soft.

Sorry bud, I was just responding to the opening line... I don't see a lot of Brass studs/bolts being advertised. That's the trouble with text, it's not the same as conversation.

Edited by NE0

Yeah, I got confused there too.

My question isn't about nuts though, it's about studs and bolts in cast aluminium...

Are there any problems associated with Stainless Steel or Titanium in Aluminium castings?

Not sure on Titanium. 

You hear some horror stories with stainless but I've never had any issues. I always use anti-seize compound or threadlock though.

I think the issues arise with cheap stainless fasteners as opposed to a2 or a4 good stuff. A lot of the bolts on my new triumph are stainless into alloy so it must be alright. 

On 3/24/2021 at 8:35 PM, finnerz89 said:

Not sure on Titanium. 

You hear some horror stories with stainless but I've never had any issues. I always use anti-seize compound or threadlock though.

I think the issues arise with cheap stainless fasteners as opposed to a2 or a4 good stuff. A lot of the bolts on my new triumph are stainless into alloy so it must be alright. 

Yeah, i worked in a factory making chemicals and they had a whole list of different stainless tube/bolts for different areas of the plant depending on the chemical and the use, hot, cold, vibration etc. The cheapest was barely more than regular steel and some of the chemicals went through it like hot butter. Other types would outlast anything but mount it on a pump and it would crack in days.

The coverall of 'stainless' is a very broad church.

10 hours ago, Skirttles said:

Hello.

I need some advice from you to fit a 17 Fj1200 front wheel on my tdm 4tx...

Thanks

Start your own thread mate, you will get proper responses.

I have done plenty of wheel swaps, its not hard. Drewpy has actually done what your after to his own TDM  he will no doubt reply and know exactly whats involved on that particular bike, if you start your own thread ofc.😉😉

11 hours ago, Skirttles said:

Hello.

I need some advice from you to fit a 17 Fj1200 front wheel on my tdm 4tx...

Thanks

I've replied via Carpe site :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Well, I've gone for some snazzy Titanium studs and nuts, as I said, I'll get the shop to swap them out for me so I don't have to worry about snapping one off! lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online