Thinking of changing the FJR.

slice
This post is 1127 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well it seems that I am really thinking of changing the FJR, been looking at the new Trumpet speed tripleRS, it's not officially available till April I think but it does look nice! Just asking really but are they any better than the horrible things I used to ride back in the day? My Bonnerville was great in a straight line but just god awful in bends plus the loss of oil was always a bit of a concern on long rides. I have heard as well that some of the latest trumpets have gearbox problems and that would be a bit of a bummer. I really need something a LOT lighter than the FJR as I have some problems with the sheer weight of the Yam as it weighs in at a massive 300 plus kilos and I'm not getting any younger and heaving it around the garage is getting a bit difficult. Also this year has seen a few changes not least of which is I have to have an ICD fitted into my chest cos chemo therapy has side effects (who knew!) should be ok to ride still but don't want to be heaving the Yam around any more. Or if you have any suggestions of bikes I should be looking at? I want something in the liter+ range really and naked is ok but would like a small screen just to keep the flies out of my teeth.

Hope your all keeping well and this awful disease has left you alone and that your families have not been affected, I have lost one friend to it.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Wow, moving on from the FJR, that's going to be tricky mate.

Hopeless for me to give a view as everything i like is from the last millennium. Also none of the bikes i like are remotely civilised.

Maybe a 1200 triumph like Pauls, best i can suggest at litre plus and light(er) although the lighter bits easy, hell you could try my vmax that beats the fjr by 50kg. 

GL

• Like 1

Yeh  slicy"  best bike av ridden,[1050]  it feeks like a go cart,  [sticks like glue,]  great sound too,,  .take a test ride,  

• Like 1

I'll be having a test ride on the 1200 when it comes out. I've not really heard of any gearbox issues on the triples except the 1215 tiger, but that's an old model now.

My speed twin is great but might feel a bit underpowered compared to the FJR when you get up towards 3 figures. 

The new speed triple will be a beast I'm sure. 

• Like 2

Can't help on the new bike as, like Cynic, my preferences lie in the last century, although my modern Triumph is 2007, it is not a fast bike. I have owned one of the earlier Hinckley Triples and can assure you it was poles apart from the Meriden bikes.

Talking of Meriden bikes, yours must have had a bent frame or summit because I have found all my twin Triumphs to be easy to throw around bends. Granted the oil loss concerns, but again I found it relatively easy to keep them oil tight (other than a push rod tube weep, but that goes without saying 🤣)

Best of luck on your search and stay healthy

A good channel to watch on youtube is Missenden flyer, he does some good reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrzeoZuii0M

Hope you are OK now Slice?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online