No damping in one fork?

mr_robd_lon
This post is 1144 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First Post here, Apologies if this is a common question.

I've just removed the forks for the first time (by me at least), 2017 Tracer 900. They're being sent away to get new internals fitted - Nitron

It doesn't seem right that one fork leg has no damping whatsoever, neither in compression nor rebound. I can hear that it has oil in it... and the manuals show that it should contain damping components...

The only time the forks have been touched before was by a yamaha dealer for the 12k miles fork oil change. When the bike came back the new chain that they fitted was slack and the axle nut finger tight. Some time later I found the clutch cable incorrectly routed and pinched against the frame at full steering lock...

Given the amount of errors in that service, I'm wondering whether the affected fork was incorrectly reassembled.

1) Is it correct that only one fork leg should have damping?

2) If incorrect... any theories on what error may have been made?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1/ Unless the two fork stanchions are connected by an equaliser, then yes, they should be the same.

2/ I think the error was that you took it to a cowboy for a service...

• Like 1

1/ Unless the two fork stanchions are connected by an equaliser, then yes, they should be the same.
2/ I think the error was that you took it to a cowboy for a service...
Indeed cowboys were involved, but it's not what you expect from a Yamaha main dealer!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi Bud, looking at the parts diagram

https://www.bike-parts-yam.com/yamaha-motorcycle/900-MOTO/2018/TRACER/MTT850D/FRONT-FORK/2017_76703-76703/26/0/25207

there is no equaliser between the forks and two sets of internal springs are listed ,one for each fork!

Mind you proving it that they left out the components is a different matter. Having said that, you're getting new internals fitted, but I certainly wouldn't be taking my bike back to them.

I would get a full service from a different place, then take it to the original place and see what they try to screw you for..!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online