(really) Basic Tank cap replacement question

diddyDave
This post is 1173 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. 

I wanted to replace the locking cap on my tank. I've got a replacement already - looks fine. I can see the old and the new is fixed using what looks like a single bolt. I have to ask before I undo the old one - does the tank have a threaded hole or should I be trying to catch a nut that might drop off inside the tank.

Hoping it's a threaded hole for obvious reasons. 

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It SHOULD be a threaded hole, but just to be sure, I assume it's for your XV920r?

usually a captive nut, even if it did fall in, just use a magnetic aerial thing to fish it out

Thanks guys. It's an XV920r but I can't be 100% sure that the original tank. 

Captive nut sounds good. If it isn't as captive as hoped and it drops off I'll have to fish it out as suggested by drowpy and then come up with some 'thing' to hold it up on the inside of the tank as my fingers aren't long enough to reach down into the opening and back up (there is a 3 / 4cm tube in the opening.. 

If its not captive you will not get it undone as it will spin inside the tank. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online