Electrical issue- 77 XS750

Meaganhein
This post is 1183 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am building a 1977 xs750 as a project bike and I’m having electrical issues. Every time I try to get it to turn over the main fuse blows. I have inspected all the wiring from the headlight bucket to the wiring harness and i can’t find any shorts. I also used a multi meter in place of a battery and still had no luck. Does anyone have any idea what this issue might be or even how i can continue to troubleshoot? I’m at a loss.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is it just when you try to turn it over, or when you turn on the ignition

If it is just on the turn over via the electric foot, does it blow fuses with the kickstarter.

You will have a short somewhere, so you'll need to start isolating the different circuits and going through everything bit by bit.

To save fuses, you can wire in a bulb, and run each wire you're testing through that. The bulb will light up if the circuit is complete indicating the short.

• Like 1

Switch ? on   handlebar,   And  " jimmy  bet you wish  you XS250  Had a short  back in the 70"s  and went on fire,,😷 ==😊

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2020 at 4:05 AM, Meaganhein said:

I am building a 1977 xs750 as a project bike and I’m having electrical issues. Every time I try to get it to turn over the main fuse blows. I have inspected all the wiring from the headlight bucket to the wiring harness and i can’t find any shorts. I also used a multi meter in place of a battery and still had no luck. Does anyone have any idea what this issue might be or even how i can continue to troubleshoot? I’m at a loss.

If it turns over its not a short in the loom its a component issue, either the solenoid or the motor.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online