DT175MX 1978 Build

ScottLee
This post is 1114 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've bought an 'unfinished project' as building one from scratch was going to take too long despite my having collected most of the parts... I might start that after this one if I still have the will to live. πŸ˜„

I've got engine work to do. Have done one side, fitted side case and auto lube which was missing when I got it.Β  On the flywheel side the stator wiring is missing a plug and I really dont want to cut the new loom so it's flywheel off to get to the stator.

Flywheel came off easily and obviously wasn't torqued up. Then when I took the stator off the screws were barely hand tight, every single casing screw is loose with many of the heads chewed. Thankfully I have a set of new casing screws for it. Got me worried what the inside of the engine is like though as it's obviously been apart... 😣

That's how the stator was fitted, there's a line on the stator plate and engine casing. Am assuming they're timing marks? They weren't even lined up. So glad I haven't tried to start this without doing much to it.

Onwards to victory... 😎

20200925_211050.jpg

20200925_212532.jpg

20200925_221425.jpg

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 4 months later...

Not all I found sadly...

First thing I noticed was the state of the barrel. Am guessing that at some point in its life it's been seized and someone has used a persuader on it, badly. Only positive is that the piston is practically brand new.

So I got another barrel and took the old one off and had a look at the crank.Β It's badly pitted which leads me to believe that it's been waterlogged at some point and for a long time judging by the state of it. Knew then that this was going to be a full rebuild.

First thing I noticed about the engine was the damage to the barrel as it's quite significant. Plus a couple of other things that I wasn't happy about. Alarm bells were already ringing and figured that this was going to turn into a full engine rebuild.Β 

I've been practising on another engine because I knew that I was likely going to have to strip this one down and rebuild it and last night I started on it. Am confident now to be able to take it apart and put it back together again. Just money for tools and parts is what's holding me back...

Further in, the clutch is in a hell of a state. There was water in it, plates rusted, grit and grime, so much grit! New clutch ordered!

Poor engine has been badly treated. Gonna have to sell another kidney but it's not beyond saving. All I need now is a lottery win. Wish me luck!🀞

Β 

20210219_211125.jpg

20210219_211155.jpg

20210220_072326.jpg

20210220_072348.jpg

20210220_072359.jpg

20210220_072445.jpg

On 2/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Airhead said:

That's in a poor state!

What expensive tools do you think you have to buy?

Try Yambits for the stator plug?

Crank case splitter tool and clutch tool. Used the refund from the forks I missed out on to buy them. πŸ™„

Got a flywheel puller already πŸ€—

Don't waste your money Scott, i did my DT 175 engine without any of those tools. (I did use a flywheel puller though)

The crank case comes apart really easy, i think if i did do anything .... i may have used a strategically placed bit of 2x1 timber and a gentle hammer. Just don't use a screwdriver to prise the two halves apart. I certainly didn't use any fancy tools.

The clutch centre nut wasn't difficult either, a bit of wood that was all and socket set.

I used 2 bits of wood under the piston to do the crank nut and a chain wrench on the generator nut.

These photos may help.

cranknut

Β 

Β 

gen nut

Β 

Β 

Edited by NE0
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NE0 said:

Don't waste your money Scott, i did my DT 175 engine without any of those tools. (I did use a flywheel puller though)

The crank case comes apart really easy, i think if i did do anything .... i may have used a strategically placed bit of 2x1 timber and a gentle hammer. Just don't use a screwdriver to prise the two halves apart. I certainly didn't use any fancy tools.

The clutch centre nut wasn't difficult either, a bit of wood that was all and socket set.

I used 2 bits of wood under the piston to do the crank nut and a chain wrench on the generator nut.

These photos may help.

cranknut

Β 

Β 

gen nut

Β 

Β 

Thanks but too late, they came yesterday. 😊

In any case, I have this horrible habit of ruining stuff trying to do the right thing with the wrong tools 😬

It's for the best πŸ˜†

So it's turning into quite the little shop of horrors this engine but I'm going to persevere as it's numbers matching with the frame. Am sure it's all repairable.

Some budding mechanic has been in it and they're a lot worse than me at this. I can see why the last fella put it all together and sold it on as an 'unfinished project'. πŸ˜† "I ain't had time to look at it, I've got a lot on and need the space". Hmmmm ok πŸ€”

It was still a bargain! Even if the engine is knackered. 😝

Split the casings with my new tool. 😎 Nothing in there was tightened or torqued. There's a circlip missing and only half of one holding the gear shift in. 😬

I can't get the crank out at the moment as someone has put the primary drive gear on with something other than a key and it's on there good. Puller on order. πŸ™„Β (Edit: Might be sheered?)

There's some damage in and around where the kick-start assembly goes which has created a hole in the casing

Someone, who didn't use a crank case splitter (not me I bought one πŸ˜‡) has taken a chunk out of the casing with a screwdriver to separate them and ruined the oil seal. That's gonna need welding too.

So this project is officially on hold for now until I sell another kidney to raise some cash to get it all repaired.

πŸ˜ͺ

20210303_154943.jpg

20210303_155230.jpg

20210303_155048.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online