Bit of help, 2009 YBR125 not firing

PaxRomana
This post is 1270 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello folks, first time poster :) .

Need a bit of help. Just before lockdown, bought a YBR125 2009 for commuting to work. But been working from home and the thing has just sat there since March.

Tried to start it, battery dead unsurprisingly. Bought new battery, tried it today. Turning over fine, but not firing at all, not even a gasp.

Spark plug is a bit black, has a spark, difficult to tell if it's a good spark tho (I'm not very good at that). I'll get a new plug for it anyway, change the air filter. Previous owner was young lad, seemed pretty responsible but never can tell. It was running fine when I bought it though, I took it for a spin round the block when I got it home out the van, ran fine.

This is my first ever fuel injection bike. I suppose the fuel might have gone bad, less than a quarter tank. Smells OK. If I just top up the tank, would that sort it if that was the problem? Or should I drain it? Looking at what I guess is fuel feed pipe coming from tank, it goes into this plastic thing that I've never seen before. Not sure if I can release it from there or have to undo clip and disconnect pipe.

Got any other tips? I'd go for carb cleaning stuff but it's injection and I'm not sure what to do.

Replies much appreciated :) .

Edited by PaxRomana

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for reply.

This may seem like a stupid question, but the image below isn't of my bike, just grabbed it off t'internet 'cos I'm at work. The fuel hose is at the middle of the screen - on my bike it has a clip but not like the one in the image. My one has nothing to grab and pinch to take it off IYSWIM, looks like it's throw away if I get it off (if I can get it off at all without damaging the hose). My question is - where it turns at a right angle it goes into the plastic housing thing there. Is there a way of disconnecting it there, or do I need to remove that clip? I'll stop off at B&Q on way home if so for a replacement clip. 

spacer.png

Edited by PaxRomana

Double check that the clips to pinch arent round the other side. If they are, just twist the clip around till you can get bat them. If its a wire type clip, just snip it with a pair of cutters. Measure the outside diameter of the pipe before you buy a replacement clip. Careful pulling the pipe of the elbow, the pipe is pushed over a step on the elbow in order to seal. A small Jubilee Clip of the right size will do ya, dont overtighten it

• Like 1

Is the fuel pump working? I bought a non running YBR125, the engine check light came on and went out after 5 seconds as it should. This showed that the ECU and sensors were ok but you should also hear the fuel pump running during those 5 secs. I had a spark at the plug but it was dry with no signs of petrol getting through. I replaced the fuel pump and all was then fine.

The on line Haynes manual is very good and if you have a multimeter you can check all the relays etc. You can buy replacement fuel pumps on eBay but they are a bit of a fiddle to change as Yamaha did not design the pump assembly to be serviceable.

On 9/20/2020 at 8:03 PM, neversaydie said:

Modern fuel goes off and absorbs moisture

Not sure I subscribe to that.

My bike usually goes in the shed about the end of October, and wont resurface until April. I don't drain the tank, I just ensure the carbs are empty (non vacuum, so switch the tap off and run the engine till it dies) and the battery goes on a charger  and the bike will start again in the spring no problem.

In saying that, I use the dearer fuel in the bikes, so maybe that helps.

• Like 1

Fuel injection seems to fair better than carbs regards stale fuel , , my moneys on the fuel pump,   Squirt some easy start in the air box wen turning over,  it should offer,  

• Like 1

Thx for replies folks. I tried it today, suddenly starts. I did have a listen for fuel pump, local bike shop owner suggested same thing. There's a hum for a few seconds while light comes on when turning key. And it started this time. I don't know if it did the hum when it wasn't starting (the light was coming on), nor do I know what might have changed in the meantime to make it start. Temperature out there dropped last few days, maybe that's had an effect. Dunno.

Thx for help anyway :) .

Just got told at work to go back to full time working from home. By the time I want to use it for the purpose I bought it for, it's going to be bloody thick frosts anyway lol.

Edited by PaxRomana

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online