SR125 irregular indicator flash - suggestions?

Lolorides

Hi All

Wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions re. a problem I'm having with my SR125?  Out riding the other day I noticed that the indicators are acting odd.  Sometimes there's a delay before they come on when the switch is pressed, and sometimes they start as normal but have odd pauses between the flashes every so often. All seems to work normally with just the electrics turned on, but with the engine running, even just standing in the garage, the odd random pausing starts again.  I've checked the battery has plenty of charge, tried a new indicator relay and I've found nothing loose in the wiring (but haven't yet managed to trace the earth wire back into the body of the bike). 

Does anyone have experience of anything similar, or knows what the problem could be?

I'd be grateful for all suggestions, as I can't take her out on the road again until this is sorted.  

Lolo

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, luckily, it's a 125 or my idea probably wouldn't have had a chance of working...

Turn the power on but don't start the engine, then give the bike a damn good shake/bounce anything you can do, if it does it then, it's a loose 'something'.

Does it happen on all 4 indicators? Or just some of them?

• 3 years later...

Thanks Snakebite68 for your reply and sorry that this is a zillion years later.. I don't get notified if any reply (should I?).

But anyway, I thought I'd update this thread with what seems to have solved the problem, in case it helps anyone else. 

First, yes, it was all indicators - acting in pairs. 

We had already looked for loose connections and found nothing. 

Then as part of investigating a starting problem we changed the battery.  Bingo! The indicators seem good now.  Odd, though, as the old battery wasn't particularly bad... 

Still haven't fixed the inconsistent start and running from cold though.  

I came here today mainly to have yet another go at putting up some pics of the rides.  I can find no way to do it 🫤.

But actually, while I'm here I might see if anyone has anything to add on my weird start problem.  An enormous number of interventions haven't fixed it. 

Thanks again 

Lolo

As I stated on another post, I suspect the lack of picture linking/uploading is because you're on a Free account...

Doesn't cost much per year and you get discounts for insurance.

I guess you have done the basics Lolo, but practically if you have, you won’t have a weird starting problem, as it’s not magic! 

Have you paid any attention to the carb/mixture settings?

Does it run particularly weak or rich? 

Plug condition/gap

age of coil

ht lead condition etc etc

Good luck 🤞