New Owner, Old Yamaha.

ratch
This post is 1306 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I bought an 85 Maxim 700 (XJ700N) a couple weeks ago. it's in need of TLC but it's pretty solid for driving.

I found the Service Manual pdf so i have it on my desktop. 

I joined so I could get help on the TLC part. 

Here she is. the previous owner thought he would paint the tank red. Looks horrible but it's just paint. the Key Set(Ignition, tank and Seat) need replaced. the guy lost the key so he jammed a small flat head screwdriver into the ignition and tank. the Petcock is garbage and the fuel level sensor needs replaced. the battery is questionable. it's one of those 12v refillables you can get at Wwalmart but the acid is all gone. a little fuel Line and vacuum line on top to the petcock getting replaced and I cant drive it. Compression showed 95-96 on all 4 Cylinders. all the plugs had spark. Had to tear down the starter and clean it up. The copper plates on the starter motor shaft that the brushes touch were pretty dirty so it didn't want to turn over. clean up and it worked immediately. the Odometer shows 7200~ miles. I'm not sure if that's all the miles or if it's seen 100k or not. still, $500 for the bike is pretty good. Be my first Motorcycle that's not a 50cc Zuma.

spacer.png

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah, I'm 34 now and I worked on all my own vehicles since my first car when I wwas 18. Not from a family that can afford a mechanic so I do it all myself. things have gotten better these past several years as places like YouTube have become good sources of information for tearing down and such. so I'm knowledgable and I look up information and pictures/videos before I try anything xD 

Quick question, what would be the difficulty of putting a sidecar on one of these? I have a 12yo daughter and I'm still a novice at riding a bike so I want to be comfortable with riding before taking her on the bike. But I also thought about a Sidecar, which would also help for my Business since I can take my gear and stuff with me. But a Motorcycle trailer works for gear xD

Anythings do-able,  but  i think riding with a side car is  doing away with the advantages of being solo, [ filtering traffic etc],,also  cornering,,,

i think you need to setup the front end for side car use too.

which means the handling will be horrible if you manage to attach one and end up in more trouble then without.
I took my 10yr old son on my bike a few times and he loved it, never took to bikes though but hopefully he'll remember it in a good way.
So long as they can rest their feet on the rear pegs, your ok. Kids are much more relaxed than us parents (my mates boy fell asleep on the back na d I had to shout to wake him up)

Side car is a disastrous idea. May as well have a car. 

I would have a trike first before cursing a motorcycle with a side car. 

Don't forget you daughter needs to learn how to pillion too. It's not just sit down and shut up. 

Both of mine started pillion at that age and now both are accomplished pillions quite happy to ride pillion on my vmax1200 or on the back of my neighbours busa when either are 'ridden enthusiasticly' . Little if any adjustment in your riding style is needed with a good pillion. 

I agree with the above.

I believe sidecars remove all the advantages of biking with none of the advantages of a car. I have never ridden a bike with a sidecar tho' so could be talking sh!t

475.jpg

Like Cynic and Drewpy I have had my kids on the bike since they were big enough to reach the footpegs and they loved it...Only one ot them went on to their own bike and my daughter is 'too cool' for bikes now she has her own car

• Haha 1