Tool question.

Cynic
This post is 1345 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Posted this on the FB site too.

OK tool addicts, get to treat myself with the proceeds from the fj trouble is I'm undecided.

Dewalt do a 170nm impact driver and a 130nm impact wrench, which one? same cost.
Driver has more diy use but less effective when working on the car, uses hex screwdriver fittings. But I have the adapters.
Primary use is the bikes and the car, screws are low on the priority list but it is a plus i suppose, might help with chocolate jis crankcase screws?
There are times, like the recent starter clutch when they are really useful. 130nm is a lot too, try it on your torque wrench. Dont want to be ripping heads off.
I am going to get a normal air gun, or maybe electric for the big stuff.

Got to do the timing belt on the wife's car next, good test.

Which would you choose..

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Impact wrench  , i have the 1/2  drive ,great tool ,   and a 3/8  small angle wrench ,

i never use a ratchet  now,, 

11 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Impact wrench  , i have the 1/2  drive ,great tool ,   and a 3/8  small angle wrench ,

i never use a ratchet  now,, 

Lazy fekker 😅

Do you pretend you're an F1 pit crew?

• Haha 1

Honestly "  once you"ve had a power ratchet , you just cant go back,  taking off manifolds  [ blind ]  just  hook socket on an press button,,,off in seconds  not minutes,,,   tightening up,  just release trigger as you hear /feel the resistance   ..

• Like 1

Haha I do need to invest. I've got an older DeWalt that I use a fair bit but it's a bit chunky so not great for access

Leaning toward the 1/2 inch drive, the real benefit is shifting the bigger stuff, shock mounts and caliper bolts on the car. That fkin flywheel nut on the max. So i think im going to go bigger. 

John how do you not rip all the bike fasters to bits. Can you be gentle with em?

Yes jason,,  i use the small power ratchet, [ chinese]  not a  milwauki or de-walt,  its low on torque ,,i dont use the 1/2  Drive gun ,  as it savage,,

I've got the almost identical 10.8v dewalt impact driver DCF815 , (1/4in drive chuck and only 107nm) otherwise same shell body and battery.

it's extremely light weight compared to Dewalt 18v version, mainly due to the smaller 10v battery, but it does mean you can get it in tighter places without the bigger battery getting in the way. Probably not man enough for your needs as you say the DCF813 is rated at 130nm.

I did however get mine from TW wholesale (Impact & hammer kit) for £130. Unfortunately they don't stock your 813. Another company I've used in the past London Power Tools do have it in stock for £136 which includes free delivery

F..k sake, so i went for a supposedly 400nm gun from sealey, what a waste of time.

Rattle, rattle, rattle, poof, cloud of blue smoke and no more, what a piece of garbage. What good is a tool designed to work really hard at getting stubborn bolts off that dies at its first test. I think it should have rattled till it shut its self down, not blew up.

I have worked my crappy old bosch battery drill till it was smoking, (was kind of in a hurry at the time, ferry to catch but hey), didn't kill it though.

Moneyback time.

fK!   my mate  had a sealy    ,it was shite,,,,i should have said,,,,,   😷

I have this F08BAE45-F8C2-4B51-B0B5-076927B3D83F-larbought it from machine mart for £30 odd quid! Will undo bolts on battleships! Gotta have a reasonable air supply tho.

Only have a small compressor, its not so much it blew, its that firms are getting so blatant in their claims.

I have noticed several that can only give quoted full power with certain batteries, some can be a quarter of the advertised figure needing say a 5ah battery to give the goods but sell it with a 1.5ah. Its a bloody minefield. Save some pennies and buy the dewalt one i think.

Plus point the car got stripped to the cam belt, its in good condition, water pump looks  good too. So considering the mondeo shat its injectors a month after doing the belt turning it into basically scrap im going to leave the cam belt as is. It certainly doesent look like its 35000 miles past its change point, With 170k on the clock any number of things could kill it. The chassis and interior are still fine, hardly any corrosion at all i would happily fit another lump.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online