XVS650 Bobber Engine Rebuild

PhilIp S
This post is 1349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone 

I have just bought a dragstar XVS650 bobber but it cut out on me after 10 miles. The dealer who sold it to me took it back and told me the engine is partially seized and it needs a new one!

They will refund me in full under warranty, and take it back, but I still want it. Another option is to keep the bike at a reduced price and have it repaired but I don’t have the skills to rebuild or replace the engine.
Does anyone know a good bike garage in the north west who would take this on and is reliable  ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't help with mechanics down your way, but have a look on the bay or breakers yards to price a replacement engine. If you can't fit it, factor the cost to have it changed. Does that match any discount from the dealer?

Sometimes it's better to walk away 

Leave it alone, those engine are ridiculously reliable. If that engine went bang in 10 miles then whoever built it started with a dud. 

There are several threads on here from people who have tried to find good second hand 650 and535 lumps, the ones that are out there are not cheap.

sometimes  breakers may do it.

There's one on https://worsley.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/the-bikers-warehouse-13845097.html

I got a frame off them years ago and they have mechanics onsite, could do an engine swap?

Thanks everyone for the advice, and that breaker is not far from me Drewpy. I’ll let you know what I decide, but I’m edging towards getting my money back.

As Cynic said it probably started out as a dud, and I don’t want a world of pain trying to resurrect it.

thanks

Phil

2 hours ago, PhilIp S said:

Thanks everyone for the advice, and that breaker is not far from me Drewpy. I’ll let you know what I decide, but I’m edging towards getting my money back.

As Cynic said it probably started out as a dud, and I don’t want a world of pain trying to resurrect it.

thanks

Phil

you might be right as regards the engine, its not too far from me either

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, PhilIp S said:

Got my money back. Found a replacement. 

nice one