1994 YZF750R won't start

Fritzer108
This post is 1361 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a '94 YZF750R that won't start when it's cold. It turns over but never catches. If I remove the airbox and place my hand on the carbs to choke it, it comes to life, telling me that it is too lean and not getting fuel. Is this correct? I would like to note that the choke was fully engaged when I start it. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is the choke lever on the bars? Is it actually doing anything at the carbs?

When was the last time it started normally?

I honestly can't tell you. I received it from my neighbor...someone abandoned it in his yard, but it had a clean vin and I got a salvage title for it. I did have it running about 4 weeks ago, but that required copious amounts of starter fluid. Once it warmed up, it idled fine at 1150 and would start up if I turned it off. 

I'd say the carbs need taking off then, and a good clean. The choke circuits are probably blocked.

If you can find somewhere that does ultrasonic cleaning I'd recommend that

• Like 2

3 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

I'd say the carbs need taking off then, and a good clean. The choke circuits are probably blocked.

If you can find somewhere that does ultrasonic cleaning I'd recommend that

Clean the tank as well if that has been lying I assume there will be rust inside. I've used a length of light chain, but others use nuts and bolts or small stones. Fit an inline fuel filter as well

• Like 1

Yep, as said. Clean carbs and good fuel in this situation.

No short cuts either. 

Update:

I replaced the oil, coolant, and put good fuel in it. After a little coaxing, I got it idle nicely and let it run for 3 hours ( I made sure the temp was always in the normal range). I think it managed to clean out the minor gunk by itself because like I said, this bike was running before it was abandoned. It's been 2 days since my last post and she starts very nicely now...hot or cold....usually no more than 3 cranks if even that.

Next thing to see is if I can tighten the clutch...it doesn't disengage all the way. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online