Tyres...

Cynic
This post is 1364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The tyres on my max are dead, im thinking Michelin pilot road 5 is the one to go with but it looks a bit naff, works well though. The Pirelli angel st looks the nuts, but have no idea if its any good mileage wise as max's destroy tyres at the best of times. The (dying) pr3's i have on spin at the first opportunity.

Wondering what you guys with the big bikes prefer, Jimmy, slice, Dutch etc as they will be close tyre abuse wise.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I’ve been using PR’s on all my bikes, from the 3 to the latest 5.

Great mileage out of them (I can get up to 12,000 out of a set). They stick well in the wet too which is my main reason for buying them.

I’m waiting for when my stock tyres need replacing on my Tiger so I can get some PR’s on. I’ve never gelled with the current tyres as they can twitch about in wet conditions which isn’t something I worry about with the PR’s.

Can't help bud. I got rid of my xjr a few yrs ago and my Triumphs don't have the torque to shred tyres.

No worries, 

Hi Mate hope your well? I use Metzler roadtec 01 on mine, seem to be really good in general road use, not really special in any coditions but hold well in the wet and dry. I also fitted those angled valves to make pumping up the tyres easier but they are F**king useless so stick with ordinary valves. 😀

This guy has some good things to say about them and I agree that they do flat off at the top of the tread after a LOT of miles on motorways.

The wheels on my max are some superlight German alloys, friction welded apparently.  the 180 wheel with tyre and drive hub weighs less (lot less) than a stock rear wheel on its own. The build means the valves are offset so air is easy. Nut squeezingly  expensive apparently. Makes you wonder when a set of dymags will cost you a couple of grand and they are far more common.

Why I'm after what you guys feel with the bigger bikes. i have only had tiddlers except the 600, a 250 for the last decade, nothing close to this heavy and another universe as far as torque/power is concerned. 120 on the front 180 on the rear. 

The stomp is still addictive, wish they had given her 6 gears though.

• Like 1

I think anything sports touring would be best. You could get something super sticky but they'd wear out fast.

How were the PR3's when you first got it? 

Honest, they were worn odd even then. Bad pressures i think. Ridden under probably as the centres have worn less than the sides (including the front) super light wheels and radials makes for a 'firm' ride until you really shift and maybe the po ran them soft dunno, give no faith in a turn as you get a falling feeling. With so much more rear tyre under you it should be the opposite. Spins easy too.

Rear has a repair in it and now the front is not holding pressure. Don't have to wait any longer now a couple of bike shops have (kind of) opened up near me.

Pirelli (which is metz) or Michelin.... ? 

I've never tried any of the Pilot Roads before, but have only heard good things. Dunlop Roadsmart 3's are good, I've used them for everything on 2 bikes, (winter commuting to trackdays) and they last really well.

I'm on Metzler m7rr's on the triple now but they're a bit more sporty. At least the sizes you've got are the most common so plenty of choice.

i have the R5's on mine and as they are asymetric have a harder centre and gradual stickiness on the sides for the corners.
I mainly got them for the wet weather performance but i know they'll be better then me so i won't overcook them.
nice and stable too

At the moment I'm on Metzeler RoadTec Z6. 120 front 160 rear

My last few tyres I have tried different types, to see what works best. Different types had added benefits but this set I have now are really good,,,, in wet and dry.

I do throw my bike around a bit in fast and slow situations. They have never given me any reason to doubt them. Down the middle have no grip pattern but this is to give longer life when the bike is traveling up straight. Corners good in both wet and dry. Last year's Mot said I did 10,000 miles and these are still the same tyres I have on. They have actually outlasted my chain and sprockets.

My route to work is half fast riding and then slow with plenty of corners and roundabout's. The only thing I have noticed with them is that the right hand side of the tyre is wearing faster but I think that is because of the way I enter roundabout's and then power around them as to not lose much time going to work.

Anyway hope this helps. Pat

I had Dunlop Roadsmart 3s on my 650 V-Strom. They were good tyres in all weather. The rear lasted just over 19,000 miles (I changed the front at the same time). I ended up with Road 5s due to cost, but only put 200 miles on them before lockdown (the bike is in bits now for maintenance)

Ok, spoke to the tyre man today, function wins out over form this time, the pirelli looks prettier but he said the latest pr5 is one of those (big step) moments. The 5 is supposedly at half worn, as good as the outgoing pr4 brand new. Time will tell. Will be fitted Thursday. 300 quid fitted and balanced to loose wheels.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cynic said:

Ok, spoke to the tyre man today, function wins out over form this time, the pirelli looks prettier but he said the latest pr5 is one of those (big step) moments. The 5 is supposedly at half worn, as good as the outgoing pr4 brand new. Time will tell. Will be fitted Thursday. 300 quid fitted and balanced to loose wheels.

mine were £200 fitted, but they just came out and a deal at the time.

They make the tread wider as the tyre wears, bit like an inverse tread pattern I suppose.

Jesus that's cheap, the 180/55 knocks in at over 150 quid on its own. From the online jockeys as well, so you will have to sort fitting and postage. From a (well known to me) bike shop it felt like a good deal, hell it is a good deal. Was it for a 120/180 combo. 

19 hours ago, Cynic said:

Jesus that's cheap, the 180/55 knocks in at over 150 quid on its own. From the online jockeys as well, so you will have to sort fitting and postage. From a (well known to me) bike shop it felt like a good deal, hell it is a good deal. Was it for a 120/180 combo. 

120/70 160/60 is what was for

Went for the Michelins, pr5's. Bit of luck though, the guy ordering the tyres said they were for a vmax while he was doing the order. After the eternal "They are not vmax sizes" talk. He said they were for a modified bike with aftermarket wheels.

That's when he was told about the pilot road5  GT, same compound but stiffer construction, ie designed specifically for land tanks like the max. Well any big heavy torquey sports tourer/ muscle bike.

Certainly work, a quick round the block blast had me close to catching the pegs. 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online