Road Tax refund - laugh or suspicious?

NE0
This post is 1419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys, thought I'd just share this with you, it made me chuckle initially!

Over a year ago I declared SORN on my DT as I hadn't used it for a while , the tax was due and I was having a bit of trouble getting it MOT'd as the guys were claiming they wouldn't MOT it on the rear tyre as it had "IN USA & CANADA- NOT FOR ROAD USE". stamped on it.  Even though they had been successfuly passing it with the same rear tyre for the past several years!  I tried to fight my corner saying we're not in the USA where the statement applies! this is the UK but he said he wouldn't pass it if I was to put it in for an MOT.  He said he was trying to save me the fail and all i had to do was replace the rear tyre and bring it back and it would be fine. So I thought, you know, I'm not going to argue with him, forget it!

I was aware I wasn't going to use it for the time being and It would be 40 years old next year (i.e 2020) so the sensible thing was to declare it SORN leave it 'till next year and then get it changed to HISTORIC vehicle and take responsiblity for the MOT. Then i wouldn't have to take it back to the MOT station where this guy had taken over. So that's what i did.

Roll on to the end of 2019 and we moved house and in January  I duly sent off my V5c to give my new address. At the same time , I thought I'd declare the bike Historic with the change of address, signed the MOT declaration and sent it all off. No problem, relatively straight forward until I didn't get the V5 back at the end of 8 weeks so I had to request a replacement . Unfortunately,  everything got further delayed due to Covid but the good news is this week i got my new V5 with new address and new taxation class. Phoned up the insurance and got it reinsured and all back on the road with the same rear tyre! and at no cost ! All free save for the insurance.

Then today i get a surprise in the form of a  cheque from DVLA for £32 for a tax refund! ....Very nice too....but I've not taxed it!!!

What on earth is going on?. it's been SORN for over a year and I've not paid in any money to them. All very bizarre!!

I think its quite funny that people have difficulty getting refunds for whatever reason and i get one without asking for one!!

However, joking aside my concern is why did they send me a refund?

Has someone got my missing v5C? and tried to tax it?  and now I've got the replacement v5, they've sent ME the refund? 

it's all a mystery for sure.

As regards to the cheque, I'm by nature a very honest person and as I'm not entitled to it,  i won't be cashing it in, but i would like to know why it's happened. Unfortunately DVLA are not dealing with enquires due to reduced staffing, so for the moment I can't pursue it.

Edited by NE0

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just keep it, not going to make a difference in the millions the DVLA take.

At least at 32 quid its easy enough to pay it back if they come calling. Which being government based im sure they can.

Otherwise forget it.

Yes Neo, very strange, but as Drewpy and Cynic has said, if me I would hang onto it for a while.
Mike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online