Yamaha Fzr 1000 engine compability

Anders-holst@hotmail.com
This post is 1401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, 

I have just bought my first MC, a Yamaha Fzr 1000 year 1989.

I want to purchase a complete engine, disassemble, and rebuild with new parts, bearings etc.

My question for you Guys is. From which year to which year is the engine the same and fit my 89' fzr 1000?

Thank you in advance

Best Regards from denmark

Anders

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why? FZR1000 motors will do megga miles with just basic maintenance so long as they haven't seen a racetrack.

The cost of doing an engine like that would cost a fortune.

wow, I've spent a small fortune on just the top end of my TDM

£90 just for a head gasket and that's for a twin cylinder bike.

Yep, was over 600 quid to do the top end of my tdr after it blew with either oem equivalent or oem parts. Over 40 quid for the (non genuine used Athena) head gasket on a 2 stroke!! Could not stretch to the pistons though. Went with mitaka, genuine are well over 100 quid each plus as much again for the rings. 

For me I would tear down the fzr engine in the off season, clean it and check it. Good money says a lot of it will be comfortably in spec, 4 stroke bike engines, (especially big ones) usually are because even though you think your riding it hard. Your not, if you had the engine to its limits on normal roads you would be in hospital or prison before long. 

My neighbour rebuilt his 60000km vmax motor and all he changed was the starter clutch and the timing chains. Even the cams were fine. Obviously rebuilt with all new perishables, but otherwise job done.

80000kms should be fine on an FZR1000 engine.

as said above I'd avoid doing a rebuild - the costs are eye watering and as some of the parts are out of production by yam, so you will spend time sourcing parts elsewhere. Even if the 'economy is not important' don't end up blowing so much money you could have bought a fitter newer bike instead.

Many of those era Yams with 5 valves burn oil (valve stem seals leak) so that might need doing but it is a top end job [and the valve clearances too]. My EXUP has 63000kms and although the engine isnt particularly quiet (they sound harsh by most standards), it's good to go.

I find it's chassis and brakes that need more care on these things at these higher mileages (km-ages) and if the engine is good focus on these.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online