Hello from Vietnam

This post is 1406 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined today.

I'm from England but currently living in Vietnam. I bought a SR400 (Japanese import) back in February this year after a long time away from 2 wheeled transport! Still finding my feet a bit but luckily these old Yamahas are not so different to the old Brit iron I was used to.

The bike runs fine but there are some electrical issues that I want to sort out. Hopefully a few people on here will have experience of these old bikes and their electrics.

The bike is a 1998 model 3HTA even though the engine is stamped 2H6 which would indicate a 1978 model. The frame is a 1JR meaning it was made for the Japanese market in 1997+ and not exported to UK/Europe or USA but I'm not too sure about Australia.

Thanks for letting me join the group

Colin

SR400-lo-res.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum matey 

TLS front brake should stop as well as a period disk, often better, the problem is heat, the more you use it the hotter it gets, friction reduces with heat and dust,  drums really struggle with getting rid of both.. Set up right they are certainly not bad, especially in wet/muddy conditions. 

Most cannot set them properly though so you end up with one shoe doing all the work.

there's a technique to it, you don't want all power straightaway but a gradual process. I did mine so the leading edge touched fractionally before the rest

Welcome colin,,,its basicaly an XT500  engine,,,   bullet proof,