What a faf.

Cynic
This post is 1414 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Crikey what a pain in the arse, had a leaky rocker cover gasket on the vmax, finally got to sorting it today after waiting for weeeeeeks for the damn thing to show up.

What a thing to fit, officially you take off the seat, airbox, carbs, fuel pump, drain coolant, header tank......continue till dead.

So like any good home mechanic I cheated. If you whip the seat off (4 bolts) you can get at everything but you have to change the gasket without taking the cover off, just lifting it maybe 15mm. Its fiddly, and a few strategic blobs of yamabond (or red hylomar) to make it behave. But it is possible if your careful and patient. 

All done in the time it would have took just to get to the damn thing. Not keen on repeating it though, the gasket looks like its dead easy to snap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I never forget undoing a cam cover bolt on the FZ using a ratchet ring spanner.
going great till it hit the frame with no where else to go. had to cut the spanner with an angle grinder.

I feel your pain

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find it all very therapeutic. The idiosyncratic work process with big jap multis is quite enjoyable.

We all have those moments mate, it's a good learning experience 😄 what's the old saying "never to old to learn something new". I was looking forward to seeing the new bike this year, plus the fact that you will have to corner like me now and not like a scalded cat! that is the TDR.

3 hours ago, slice said:

We all have those moments mate, it's a good learning experience 😄 what's the old saying "never to old to learn something new". I was looking forward to seeing the new bike this year, plus the fact that you will have to corner like me now and not like a scalded cat! that is the TDR.

At least I can get all you lot back for volume, big multis with noisy pipes. Vmax can out shout em all.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online