Is a burst steering lock a write off (YBR 125 Custom)

skyap
This post is 1408 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just discovered that someone has attempted to steal my bike during lockdown. There's be a screwdriver forced in the ignition barrel and the steering lock has been forced open. I have a chain on the front wheel so not sure if that is what stopped them taking the bike, but it also needed a new starter fuse so it wouldn't have started for them anyway but can't tell if they tried.

I had a scooter stolen a few years ago and when it was recovered I was told that as the steering lock had been burst, the whole thing was a write off as they could have damaged the chassis. So my question is, is that the same case with this bike Yamaha YBR 125 Custom? I hadn't been riding it due to lockdown and I doubt I'll be able to get someone to look at it either. Just waiting on the police crime number so I can put in a claim but thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience of what happens next? Will I need a garage to look at it first or will the insurance company take the bike and pay it's value? I'm with Hastings Direct if that helps.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi. Well like most things it depends! If they have just broken the actual lock then no it is repairable or replacable, but if they have actually damaged the area where the lock pin enters the frame then possibly. I say possibly cos you can check the surrounding area and see if the pin lock is the only thing damaged, where the pin goes in there is a standout that recieves the pin and that although part of the frame is not structural whereas if it's been swung on by a monkey then it could damage the frame but unlikely in my opinion. It's not uncommon to find bikes with broken steering locks out there cos these shit weasels live everywhere and no bike is safe from them. So my advice buy a really good padlock and chain or 2 even for when you have it stored and are away from it for an extended time then take out the fuse for the ignition and the worst they can do then is wheel it away. Don't worry mate we have all been there and it's just part of the fun of motorcycling!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online