Recommendations please

jimmy
This post is 1425 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My boy has told me he's looking for a new bike.

He has had his xv535 since passing his test about 8yrs ago, although the last two years he's done the sum total of nowt.

Last year he joined my job and a few guys on his shift are riding modern bikes so that's what he's after.

Seems to have his mind on an xjr1300 (coz he liked my 1200) but I'm thinking maybe a bit too fast (protective father time) 

I showed him a tdm900 but he thinks it a bit small in height. He is 6'1" I don't think it is.

Any other recommendations or should I just stfu and get a few shots of the xjr

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There are a lot of different styles to choose from these days. Sporties, tourers, crossers etc. He could have something smaller that is even faster. Maybe try and nail down a bit more what it is he wants from the new bike

• Like 1

TDM is a bit SHORT!. Im 6"1 and I thought it was spot on. I nearly bought a 850 back in the stone age. Green one as I recall but no matter. How is the 1300 better if the tdm is small, or are we just talking numbers?

You need to get him on some bikes so he realises just how fast bikes are so he realises just how slow his 535 was in the motorcycle universe. In his mind 1300 is big numbers so fast, 900 is smaller and slower. The real world difference, with the bodywork you can ride the tdm considerably faster and for longer than the 1300. My vmax has a ton of horsepower, needs a subtle experienced hand to ride it quick though. Its knackering to ride hard too.

Any year the YOC tour has proved that any bike, from an sr125 right up to an FJR1300 and anything in-between ridden with a group of genuine friends is a great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

my tdm850 is tall. I have a Hagon shock on though which does raise it a bit.
have to lean the bike slightly to put foot down.

• Thanks 1

See, I was thinking of yours drewps and thought it was tall enough for him, but never realised you had a higher shock on it.

I was thinking that the tdm, whilst fast enough, would maybe not encourage him to gun around as much as the xjr would.

I totally agree with your comments ref how slow his xv is. He is reasonably sensible, so I'm probably worrying too much. When this lockdown is finished I'll take him round a few places to have a look in the flesh so to speak 

12 hours ago, jimmy said:

See, I was thinking of yours drewps and thought it was tall enough for him, but never realised you had a higher shock on it.

I was thinking that the tdm, whilst fast enough, would maybe not encourage him to gun around as much as the xjr would.

I totally agree with your comments ref how slow his xv is. He is reasonably sensible, so I'm probably worrying too much. When this lockdown is finished I'll take him round a few places to have a look in the flesh so to speak 

on the carpe-tdm site, one really tall guy has slightly modified his controls and this helped

http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?showtopic=37015&hl=tall#entry376858

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online