What cruising speed could I expect from a 1982 DT 175?

momo034
This post is 1483 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I am thinking about buying this motorcycle I have found used for a good price. It's in good condition, very well maintained. My concern is the cruising speed. I intend to use it for longish trips. I need something that I can cruise at 90kph (55mph) for several hours without issue. Someone told me that at these speeds with this bike I would need to stop every hour or so and let the engine cool. (I do live in a warm weather zone)

So I guess it's two questions really, firstly what is the top speed can you comfortably cruise for longer distances on one of these bikes, and how big of an issue is overheating?

PS: I suppose I could also gear up and put in a smaller rear sprocket

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You don't say what country your in.

DT175 here (uk) means up to 1981ish

If your in India, Australia etc then it means upto around 2002 (I think)

The uk bikes are in stock form all but flat out at 55-60mph. You wont keep it up for long distances as the tank will dry up in 40 or 50 miles at those speeds.

I understand the later versions in Australia etc got some further refinements and have better performance, 55 mph may be quite achievable as a cruising speed on those.

I had one in the 1970"s    50mph is good,,   it did 68mph flat out,,  

You don't say what country your in.

Im in Guatemala, the model is a 1982. 

The uk bikes are in stock form all but flat out at 55-60mph. You wont keep it up for long distances as the tank will dry up in 40 or 50 miles at those speeds.

Really! at 55mph a full tank would only get me 40 or 50 miles 😳

That's kindof alarming

I use mine for commuting to and fro from work 15 miles a day, three or four days a week and I get around 100~110miles per tank. (7 litre. 1.80gal tank size).

semi urban traffic, several sets of traffic lights and roundabouts so tend to be up and down the gearbox a bit.  Mainly 30~45 mph.

I remember a few years ago I did a trip along a dual carriage way ,  several 5 to 10 mile stretches for over 20 miles, I must confess , I didn't like running the engine at a constant speed/revs, it got hot and it wasn't very comfortable. In my opinion being a TRIAL bike, its not really designed to cruise, but is better suited to go over rough ground with lots of rev and speed changes. If you're looking at cruising for several hours I'd be looking at a road bike myself.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online