125 Dragstar blowing fuses

museumsteve
This post is 1494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, please give some any pointers that may help stopping me going in crazy.

A few weeks ago the wife rode her bike home and said her indicators had stopped working. On checking I found the main fuse (10A) had blown so I changed it and all seemed good. Yesterday she came home and said the same again. I put a new fuse and the second I turn the ignition key on the fuse blew. I noticed one indicator was full of water and the bulb was rusted in so i took that apart and it made no difference, I unplugged the connections to the front indicators and it still blew the fuse. I opened the headlight bowl and there was nothing obvious like bare wires etc. I pulled the tank back a good few inches and the wiring cluster all looked good and solid and nothing obvious chaffing anywhere.

I rang my local bike shop to ask if we could drop it off but they said they don't do electricals. The bike still starts and rides.

Sooo, any pointers would be handy :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I came up pretty short trying to search the web so spent around 8 hours in the workshop today and think I traced it back to the rear brake switch. It took a long time to track it back and the only way I found it was to strip back the harness and spend a couple of horus tracking as much as I could to look for any breaks of bare wiring.

The fuse that was blowing was the SIGNAL one so what I did was strip the harness back to reveal the wires from that fuse line. It had 4 brown wires and 1 black coming from it. I knew the brown wires went to indicators, lights etc so I figured the only thing I could do was to cut the wires and reconnect them one at a time until the fuse blew. Hey presto as soon as I connected the rear brake light the fuse blew.

So I've ordered a new switch and hopefully it'll be here in time for my day off Thursday to put it all back together.

• Like 1

Well worked through bud.

You'll need to pick up a manual,  if you haven't already 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmy said:

Well worked through bud.

You'll need to pick up a manual,  if you haven't already 

Thanks mate.

I was trying to find a manual but could only find dodgy sites (as in looked dodgy) or DVD versions which would take a few days to arrive. I'll probably order one for the wife's 125 and one for my 650.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online